Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 07:58 PM

Default LO8 3/6 How much action with bottom two pair?

I'm a hold'em and stud player who's started playing HORSE and, well, struggling with O8. Pre-flop I was following my instincts never to open-limp. Post-flop my question is: how much action should I put in with a good but non-nut hand with a nut draw?

John

Full Tilt Poker $3/$6 Limit Omaha H/L - 7 players
Hand Converter Tool from DeucesCracked.com

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#FF0000">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (7.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#FF0000">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#FF0000">Button raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#FF0000">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#FF0000">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
Old 08-19-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: LO8 3/6 How much action with bottom two pair?

Never open limping isn't as exploitable as it is in holdem because you have a wider range for both limping and raising PF in O8 because you have that many more combinations to deal with.

That said, your PF play is on the loose side but understandable if certain dynamics are in play (your image, opponents image and skill set, recent play...). You seem to be a little to up front to make this play with this hand though as it plays fairly thin.

This is the type of flop that either hit your opponent better then you or didn't really hit at all. What I mean is, either he flopped a set/straight/combo of, or he had a primarily low hand with suits and flopped a backdoor at best. Saying that, I would shut down if I bet this flop and got called or raised. Bottom 2 is near the absolute bottom of hands that would continue on this board. And your redraw to the straight consists of a 4 outer (J) that may as well just bring a split with any person holding an A and Broadway (most likely if they are continuing here). Also any card that isn't a diamond now brings a FD to free roll anyone with a similar hand.

All in all, your hand is not very strong here and I would not want to invest a lot of money. I most likely fold to the flop raise, c/f the turn or maybe c/c flop and c/f fold turn. You're just beat too often to continue better yet go to showdown. Don't overvalue 2 pair. Especially bottom 2.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:36 PM

There is almost nothing you can beat here, dude. jloc explained it perfectly in the third paragraph there.

Also, gotta love the rake on the turn.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:11 AM

Fold the turn if your opponent isn't a spew monkey.

You beat nothing that a normal player raises the flop and bets the turn with.

Furthermore, I'd limp this preflop about twice as often as I'll raise it.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:59 AM

Another classic tale of someone applying hold 'em standards to O/8. Two pair no good. More specifically, PF you are unsuited. I would just limp unless something specific about your table makes the aggression pay off.

When the raise hits on the flop you are way behind with few outs and with only 3 players, not enough new money coming in to justify taking a shot. IMO, you could fold to the raise on the flop or check/fold on the turn. Chasing in O/8 is VERY expensive.

Oh, and Reko, another Finn (by ancestry) here, Nevonen. Born in LA, parents from Minnesota. 4 generations back to Finland.