Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 12:51 AM

Default PF reraise spot NLTRN

So, this is a spot that confuses me sometimes. I'm playing a fairly straightforward player. Nothing fancy, just ABC.

So I'm raising in position alot. Enough that he should be feeling like I'm starting to run him over. So this is were I sometimes get confused...

Say I pick up a hand like KQs, I raise like I have been doing often. Say I've raised his BB the last two times and he's folded. This would be the third in a row. He reraises me 3x. What now? Let's assume I have him outchipped slighly - 1750-1250 and blinds are 15-30.

He's fairly tight and this is his first reraise, so in normal circumstances he has a big hand. However, I start thinking about the flow of the game and it starts making sense that he might just be fed up.

Thoughts? With what hands would you call with? Do you call with almost anything and just try to outplay him on the flop? Am I just out-thinking myself here?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Re: PF reraise spot

Calling a 3x 3bet preflop with the intention of outplaying him on the flop is not a very good idea if you are getting close to 25% of your stack in preflop. You won't have any breathing room to make a move and it's usually going to be push/fold.

If this is his first 3bet I am probably giving him the benefit of the doubt unless he is super passive and i think he might not cbet the flop. If he starts getting too out of line then I think you can open up and call a little bit more. Even if he is getting frustrated KQ is still behind a lot of hands. Wait for a real hand to come back over the top of him with. If he's 3 betting out of frustration he's probably going to be calling your 4bet out of frustration as well.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:10 AM

Ok, good. I usually fold with a KQ type of hand. Same goes for a mid PP - 66-TT.

Now "78s" type of hands, is another story. I like to call with this type of hand. Is this a leak?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:52 PM

Against most opponents I think calling 3/4-pot sized 3bets with hands like 78s is unnecessary. You are usually going to be giving up some of your edge over your opponent by getting a large % of your stack in preflop behind.

Conversely, against solid-aggressive opponents I think that 3 betting suited connectors is a good play as you are going to need to open up your range some against them. I'm still not calling a pot sized 3bet with 78s against this opponent either.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:34 AM

So you call 87s but fold TT?