Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2007, 02:32 AM

Default Re: Verbal tell

Strong for sure.

Jeff
Old 07-01-2007, 02:28 PM

Donkey told me I was supposed to fold because talking meant strength, but I said I was supposed to call because something indefinite like "something like that" meant he was uncomfortable and weak.

I told him I would let the forum decide who was right.

Death Donkey, you are right. I should've folded.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:30 PM

i think the fact that he checkraised you is far more indicative than any verbal tells. Personally, no matter what I have, when someone asks me an idiotic question like that after my betting has clearly indicated that I like my hand, I'm bound to make some smart-alec response like:

"do you have a pair yet?"

"sure!"
"No, but my ace is better than your ace."
"Yeah, but it's not a very good one."
"No, I'm on the flush draw." (only used on rainbow boards)
"Why? Do I need one?"
"Something like that."
"Pairs??? I don't get dealt pairs. That's why I have to RAISE!!!"
"Do YOU have a pair yet?"

The only time I sit there silently is in NLHE and in NLHE, I NEVER say a word when in a hand if I'm taking the stakes/tournament seriously.

Limit is boring. Talking at the table makes it fun, and as long as you don't have any problem talking while on a bluff or with a big hand, it's all good. 99% of the time, you feel confident about the way you're playing the hand anyway. So when he says to himself, "he seems confident..." HE'S RIGHT!!! I'm completely confident that I wish to 3bet my 10 outs on the turn.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:30 PM

Oh, and if you're just going to take Mike L's word for it, just pm him your question.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and if you're just going to take Mike L's word for it, just pm him your question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm taking the word of him and the other 7 or so people who all were unanimous.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Live 40 game. Player A checkraises the flop. Player B calls and says "do you have a pair yet?". Player A responds with "something like that".

Is player A strong or weak?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the physical mannerisms that go with it, basically the body language in the way things are said and done, confirm it either way.

Playing NL a guy bet 300 pf and I called him with QQ. He bet 500 into an 8 high flop and I knew he wasn't happy. I go AI for 970 str. He had JJ and paid off.

In another hand same guy made it 100 pf and I knew he had AA. I did something I never do in that spot and just called with KK. One other caller.

He bet 375 on a 5 high flop and I knew he was happy. I went AI for 750 because my hand was under represented, it was a psb and I could be wrong. In reality I knew before he insta called I was right. I'm the stackee this time.

The way he said it was confirmed by his body language. My two cents on the verbal thing.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Donkey told me I was supposed to fold because talking meant strength, but I said I was supposed to call because something indefinite like "something like that" meant he was uncomfortable and weak.

I told him I would let the forum decide who was right.

Death Donkey, you are right. I should've folded.

[/ QUOTE ]

So then this could have been a reverse tell b/c donkey knows that you know how to read tells so maybe he's trying to act weak to tell you he's strong when he's really quite weak. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Live 40 game. Player A checkraises the flop. Player B calls and says "do you have a pair yet?". Player A responds with "something like that".

Is player A strong or weak?

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on the guy.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:13 PM

Normally, a quick, glib answer means weak. However, in a good player, a non-exact somewhat cryptic answer can often be the opposite. "Something like that" can mean a pair matching one of the cards on the board.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I suck then and Death Donkey owns me. bah.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, ok. I saw this as the 2nd reply and it looked like you had the answer you were looking for. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Still look forward to meeting you, Clark. We've been living in the same city for 18 months now and playing the same limits. wtf?