Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Carnoustie

IMO (based on reading/watching/hearing most everything about the guy in the past ~8 years), he's a bit of a fake. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's a flat out jerk, but he's not just the lovable guy who you always see smiling on the course.
This doesn't mean he's a bad person, but he certainly puts on an act for the fans/endorsements, etc. (to some degree)

EDIT: Talking about Phil
Old 07-26-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO (based on reading/watching/hearing most everything about the guy in the past ~8 years), he's a bit of a fake. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's a flat out jerk, but he's not just the lovable guy who you always see smiling on the course.
This doesn't mean he's a bad person, but he certainly puts on an act for the fans/endorsements, etc. (to some degree)

EDIT: Talking about Phil

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't Rick Reilly say something that his whole family talks down to him like he was in kindergarten? Well that might've just been Phil's sister, and even if Phil did that, I guess that doesn't make him a jerk.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:38 PM

^^I didn't hear that, so I can't really comment^^
Old 08-07-2007, 09:46 PM

Bob Harig makes the argument that Romero's caddie did indeed let him down in Carnoustie
Old 08-12-2007, 06:01 AM

Excellent article on the player/caddy relationship at that level and a closer reading argues that Mr Romero is solely responsible, both in his choice of club AND caddy, who is his brother, and likely employed to provide support far-away-from-home as much off the course than on.

In addition to the basic chores of bag toter and housekeeper, a caddy's primary function is to provide information and positive reinforcement. It is almost never on to offer unsolicited tactical advice and any caddy who does interject a negative view will not have a loop for much longer.

The well-understood default warning is to simply leave the bag next to the ball for an extra moment, which is a silent signal to the player that the caddy wants him to reconsider.

A good caddy will accept undeserved criticism to deflect it away from his player. But it is unreasonable to expect him to ultimately save a player from himself.