Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Re: advice for leaving a job

[ QUOTE ]
went well, although boss was so surprised he had to take a few minutes before we discussed logistics, that part was kind of weird.

should I be getting paid for unused vacation?

[/ QUOTE ]

You would more than likely have to look at company poilcy about that. Where I work as long as you give 2 weeks notice they either cut you a check or allow you to take your vacation as allowed.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
went well, although boss was so surprised he had to take a few minutes before we discussed logistics, that part was kind of weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

in most cases, yes
Old 07-13-2007, 04:09 PM

I work at a tech company and I've never heard of anyone getting booted before their two weeks were up.

It actually seems far more standard that people give advance notice months ahead of time. I think this is mainly to ease the transition for coworkers that will end up picking up the slack. Also most people leave here to go back to school or move to another state so they know their plans far in advance.

I think my roommate gave at least 3 months notice, but that was because his managers would have started wondering why he was turning down all the other job offers he was getting within the company.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:35 PM

My old boss is a complete dick and was trying to boot me once I gave him my two weeks (which was more like 3 1/2 weeks notice). He couldn't grasp that I was leaving because I was moving 2500 miles away.

He talked to the PM of the project I was working on every single day to ask if he could get rid of me. Luckily, I've known my PM for years as my mother worked for this company so he's known me since I was a kid, and he wasn't going to let them boot me early.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:41 PM

I work a [censored] call center job and I'm quitting to go to law school in August(they don't know). We don't get paid for vacation if we quit and I was afraid that I'd get walked if I gave my two weeks and then said "I'm also taking the next 7 days off, kthxbye".

Anyway, I scheduled a week of vacation the 4th week of July and want to quit 2 weeks after I come back, but therefore a technical 2 week notice would come during the last day of my week off. Do I give 13 days of notice or give notice during my week off? I don't believe I'll ever need a letter of recommendation or even see any of these people again, but I'm using almost my entire year's worth of PTO by the end of July and I think that's slightly shady. I would really rather work those last two weeks for financial reasons. Nobody in my team has quit during my tenure so I don't know how the company handles it.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm leaving a job on monday. Mine is just a summer job, but they don't really know that i only view it as a summer job i guess. They know i'm going back to college, but they often keep people on the payroll and have them work sparingly. Not me. Any advice for this situation that's different from the OP?

My work is basically at a country club helping to run a camp for kids.

[/ QUOTE ]

unless youre planning on going back or getting references from them, you dont need to do a whole lot with it in an environment/job like that.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in most cases, yes

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I'm planning on leaving my job soon, and have not used about 2 weeks of vacation. So how would I go about asking for my 2 weeks pay? Is this standard practice?
Old 07-16-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, I scheduled a week of vacation the 4th week of July and want to quit 2 weeks after I come back, but therefore a technical 2 week notice would come during the last day of my week off. Do I give 13 days of notice or give notice during my week off? I don't believe I'll ever need a letter of recommendation or even see any of these people again, but I'm using almost my entire year's worth of PTO by the end of July and I think that's slightly shady. I would really rather work those last two weeks for financial reasons. Nobody in my team has quit during my tenure so I don't know how the company handles it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I left my last job at the end of July, but had used all but one day of my vacation. I had to pay them back 5/12 of my holiday's, because I got 3 weeks for a full 12 months, but had only worked for 7. Keep in mind, you might end up working part of your last 2 weeks free, since you've used holidays you won't be earning.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:07 PM

In CA:

- you get paid for unused vacation
- if you have given more than 72 hours notice for quitting, your check is due on your last day
- If you have given less than 72 hours notice your check is due within 72 hours
- If you are fired your check is due on the spot
Old 07-16-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm giving my 2 weeks tomorrow for a company I've been at 3 years, they bought my old company so I've never actually quit a white collar job before. aside from the standard 2 weeks, anyone have any good advice? dos/don'ts?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]