Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 06:43 PM

Default I\'m in trouble

The state tax commission has a criminal investigation going on me. They have not told me all of the details, but I have found out that involves offshore gambling. How in the hell did they find out that I am involved in offshore gambling I have no clue at all. This investigator wants me to come in and talk to him and tell him "my side of the story." I live in Utah. This is pretty scary stuff and who knows what's going to happen. I'll let you know unless they throw me in jail before I can.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: I\'m in trouble

Get a good tax and criminal law attorney before you meet with any state official.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:51 PM

thanks for advice. I am trying to find a good one. Hard to find one that specializes in both though. Especially in this podunk state. Can't imagine how my life could suck any more than this. At least if I was going to prison I would know the outcome. The uncertainty of this whole thing is the worst part of it.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:52 PM

Also, wonder how in the heck they could have this information on me, unless they wire tapped my phones. Pretty curious
Old 10-15-2007, 07:28 PM

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert.

First, find a good lawyer, as JPFisher said. Odds are they aren't going to be prosecuting you for gambling online, unless you're running a site or not paying your taxes. Is there anything you're doing that is beyond the norm?

If you go in, and this IS about gambling online, congratulations, you'd be the first that I know of. If that is the case, contact the PPA and other organizations that deal with this sort of thing on a regular basis. My gut feeling is that it's a tax issue, though. And as the 2+2 mantra goes:

PAY YOUR TAXES.

Keep us informed! We're all rooting for you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2007, 07:45 PM

True. But how do they even know I was doing offshore gambling? That's why I was so shocked. This is the State tax commission no less. How in the world are they finding this stuff out?
Old 10-15-2007, 07:50 PM

Did you use Neteller? I know that as part of the trouble that they had, they handed over a lot of the financial information.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
True. But how do they even know I was doing offshore gambling? That's why I was so shocked. This is the State tax commission no less. How in the world are they finding this stuff out?

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you get money on to and off of sites??????? What where you gambling on????? Were you a "winner" and if yes how much and over how many years????

There is so much info left out to get a picture of your situation..
Old 10-15-2007, 08:57 PM

you are being charged with tax evasion or offshore gambling?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The state tax commission has a criminal investigation going on me. They have not told me all of the details, but I have found out that involves offshore gambling. How in the hell did they find out that I am involved in offshore gambling I have no clue at all. This investigator wants me to come in and talk to him and tell him "my side of the story." I live in Utah. This is pretty scary stuff and who knows what's going to happen. I'll let you know unless they throw me in jail before I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

PM me.

I am not a lawyer but I've read the law.

I might be able to help in your defense.

D$D
Closed Thread