Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy Steroids Batman!

Look at that Yellow!

I think this is a no-brainer for the Yanks. As a Yankee hater, yesterday was a terrible day. Their team without ARod was really lacking offensively, especially given the age of some of the guys in the lineup.

Sure it may look dumb to be paying him $30 mil 8 years from now, but that's just how the sport works these days. The Mets knew years 3 and 4 for Pedro were huge question marks, but that's the deal that had to be given to lock up the talent at the time.

Plus, $30 mil for the Yanks now isn't a lot of money. With inflation and a new stadium, 8-10 years from now it may be pocket change.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Holy Steroids Batman!

Look at that Yellow!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I originally intended it for the Bonds thread [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

Sure it may look dumb to be paying him $30 mil 8 years from now, but that's just how the sport works these days. The Mets knew years 3 and 4 for Pedro were huge question marks, but that's the deal that had to be given to lock up the talent at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

the Pedro deal was dumb then and in retrospect it has been just as dumb, particularly for a team with finite resources. everyone knew his arm was a ticking timebomb, and the Mets got 1 good year our of that deal and maybe will get 1 more.

anyways, the larger point is that just b/c some teams are dumb doesn't mean you have to be dumb as well
Old 11-15-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Holy Steroids Batman!

Look at that Yellow!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I originally intended it for the Bonds thread [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the Pedro deal was dumb then and in retrospect it has been just as dumb, particularly for a team with finite resources. everyone knew his arm was a ticking timebomb, and the Mets got 1 good year our of that deal and maybe will get 1 more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it was the best thing the Mets could have possibly done. But that's for another thread.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:35 PM

I am coming around on this deal. I still think they are overpaying, but with rising revenues maybe the last three years wont be too painful. If Cashman is able to negotiate insurance clauses, buy outs, etc to mitigate some of the late contract risk then it would make more sense to me.

But with the young pitchers the Yanks have a three year window until A-Rod, Jeter, Posada, Rivera, all start declining heavily and this not only cements their best possible offense during those years, but with the expiring contracts leaves them flexibilty to add replacements.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:43 PM

DC--can't they set up the yearly payment so they pay more now and are on the hook for less in his later years...or is that dumb because the $$ may be worth less 8 years from now?
Old 11-15-2007, 01:44 PM

I mean, I think the major problem I have is that the Yankees seem to be outbidding themselves. have there even been rumors of any other team willing to go as high as 7 years /$210m?
Old 11-15-2007, 01:46 PM

We are reportedly in talks with Mike Lowell to play 1st base???
Old 11-15-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We are reportedly in talks with Mike Lowell to play 1st base???

[/ QUOTE ]

sigh
Old 11-15-2007, 01:54 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, I think the major problem I have is that the Yankees seem to be outbidding themselves. have there even been rumors of any other team willing to go as high as 7 years /$210m?

[/ QUOTE ]

say the contract is $270M for 10 years. imagine if ARod said that he will accept $180M for 10 years (33% discount), or simply $135 for 5 years. I think ARod could have 5 teams tomorrow shoving pens into his hands for those numbers.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

say the contract is $270M for 10 years. imagine if ARod said that he will accept $180M for 10 years (33% discount), or simply $135 for 5 years. I think ARod could have 5 teams tomorrow shoving pens into his hands for those numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

? but none of those are as high as 7 / $210m