Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even if they give A-Rod an offer matching the 9/$230m pre opt out offer I am not sure its wise. Paying A-Rod $25m a year for his ages 38-41 to DH/1B may turn out to be brutal, esp. if he has a serious injury.

My guess this, along with the silly collusion talk, are signs that no good team is willing to pay more than a rational amount for a safe period during his decline years, say 6/$150m. Boras has probably lined up a bad team to pay much more, just as he did in 2000, but this time A-Rod isn't willing to endure that just for a little more money. He wasted three years in Texas that he can never get back, does he want

They are the richest sports team in the world. When Arod is 40 and probably breaking the all time HR record in the fancy new stadium, paying him 25m with all the money this team has is a joke. Don't let the fact that they have made the playoffs 13 times in a row distract you from how much his production means to their chances of making the playoffs without him. He is easily worth 25m for the next 5 years, and when he is breaking the record towards the end of his career he will still be worth that much. Chances to acquire someone this productive are just extremely rare, and the yankees have a huge amount of money. Plus I would be very optimistic about how he will decline, he has shown extraordinary health and consistency, and this season was off the charts productive.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yankees have a player just like him, Giambi, who was a better hitter through age 32, and plays the position A-Rod will be playing in 5 years, DH/1B. How happy are you paying Giambi $22m a year? Fans come to see winning teams and the extra revenue from a couple milestone games ain't going to make up for paying him $30m when he's decrepit. The Yankees take all the risk, injury, decline, revenue, even tax changes whena deal is ten years long. The yankees can spend the money almost as effectively now and way more effectively later.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Yankees have a player just like him, Giambi, who was a better hitter through age 32

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever stat that backs up this statement is severely flawed.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Official statement from Alex Rodriguez
received: Nov 14, 2007 at 03:48 PM

11/14/2007 3:27 PM ET
After spending time with Cynthia and my family over these last few weeks, it became clear to me that I needed to make an attempt to engage the Yankees regarding my future with the organization.

Prior to entering into serious negotiations with other clubs, I wanted the opportunity to share my thoughts directly with Yankees' ownership. We know there are other opportunities for us, but Cynthia and I have a foundation with the club that has brought us comfort, stability and happiness.

As a result, I reached out to the Yankees through mutual friends and conveyed that message. I also understand that I had to respond to certain Yankees concerns, and I was receptive and understanding of that situation.

Cynthia and I have since spoken directly with the Steinbrenner family. During these healthy discussions, both sides were able to share honest feelings and hopes with one another, and we expect to continue this dialogue with the Yankees over the next few days.

A-ROD ON NJ.COM

"Itr's pretty clear to all of use he definitely wants to stay a Yankee," Hank Steinbrenner, team executive and son of owner George Steinbrenner, said today. "And that's all he's had to prove to me."

The Yankees had insisted all summer that if Rodriguez opted out of the final three years of his contract they would not bid on him as a free agent. The reason, they said, is they would lose $21.3 million from the Texas Rangers toward his 2008-10 salaries. Rodriguez did in fact opt out -- during Game 4 of the World Series.

The next day, Hank Steinbrenner said, "We're going to pretty much hold fast. It's a shame." But now Steinbrenner said he is open to Rodriguez's return.

"Alex has reached out to us through a third party," Steinbrenner said today. "It kind of looks like he wants to stay."

Steinbrenner hinted that Rodriguez might make concessions on his salary to make up for the lost Rangers subsidy.

"It looks like he's willing to make certain sacrifices to stay a Yankee," Steinbrenner said.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2007, 06:21 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]
The Yankees have a player just like him, Giambi, who was a better hitter through age 32, and plays the position A-Rod will be playing in 5 years, DH/1B. How happy are you paying Giambi $22m a year? Fans come to see winning teams and the extra revenue from a couple milestone games ain't going to make up for paying him $30m when he's decrepit. The Yankees take all the risk, injury, decline, revenue, even tax changes whena deal is ten years long. The yankees can spend the money almost as effectively now and way more effectively later.

[/ QUOTE ]

giambi's career line .289 .411 .536 good for 147 OPS+
arod's career line .306 .389 .578 same 147 OPS+

over the last 5 years (when giambi was coming off steroid, various types of hurt, losing his position), giambi is .247/.393/.503 over 1916 ABs. i don't think these stats bring down his average to the point that he was a definitively better hitter through age 32 than ARod.

but regardless, ARod is much more athletic, much more valuable and (so far) free of suspicion that he is a great hitter because of steroids.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Yankees have a player just like him, Giambi, who was a better hitter through age 32

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever stat that backs up this statement is severely
flawed.

[/ QUOTE ]

here are the .eqa for the 2 players from 25-31. see if you can tell who is who

25 0.285
26 0.300
27 0.307
28 0.329
29 0.369
30 0.376
31 0.350
AVG: 0.331

25 0.333
26 0.323
27 0.322
28 0.310
29 0.351
30 0.314
31 0.354

AVG: 0.330
Old 11-14-2007, 06:26 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

flawed.

[/ QUOTE ]

25 0.285
26 0.300
27 0.307
28 0.329
29 0.369
30 0.376
31 0.350

25 0.333
26 0.323
27 0.322
28 0.310
29 0.351
30 0.314
31 0.354

[/ QUOTE ]

arod is the latter, and when is anyone going to remember that giambi's peak/decline is due to steroids and injuries.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:27 PM

re. the A-Rod "official statement": Alexis is such a [censored] woman. And I mean that in the most misogynistic way possible.

"...I reached out to the Yankees through mutual friends"

EFF YOU DOUCHEBAG. DO NOT TALK LIKE THAT!

"I also understand that I had to respond to certain Yankees concerns, and I was receptive and understanding of that situation."

OMFG. This is beyond ridiculous. A-Rod's wife must go nuts from his feminine needy psycho-babble in their couple's counseling sessions.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

flawed.

[/ QUOTE ]

25 0.285
26 0.300
27 0.307
28 0.329
29 0.369
30 0.376
31 0.350

25 0.333
26 0.323
27 0.322
28 0.310
29 0.351
30 0.314
31 0.354

[/ QUOTE ]

arod is the latter, and when is anyone going to remember that giambi's peak/decline is due to steroids and injuries.

[/ QUOTE ]

And lets just totally forget about A-Rods last 4 years in Seattle, because "through the age 32" shouldn't take into account A-Rod's early years/Giambi's non steroid years.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:30 PM

oh I agree, and desertcats statement ignores that Arod had already been a great player from age 20, so his statement is wrong.

but anyways, it is fun to go compare the 2. his point isn't that far off - in a few years Arod will be a 1B/DH, and only marginally better or perhaps worse than a handful of other 1b/dh's who make < 1/2 of what Arod will be making.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Even if they give A-Rod an offer matching the 9/$230m pre opt out offer I am not sure its wise. Paying A-Rod $25m a year for his ages 38-41 to DH/1B may turn out to be brutal, esp. if he has a serious injury.

My guess this, along with the silly collusion talk, are signs that no good team is willing to pay more than a rational amount for a safe period during his decline years, say 6/$150m. Boras has probably lined up a bad team to pay much more, just as he did in 2000, but this time A-Rod isn't willing to endure that just for a little more money. He wasted three years in Texas that he can never get back, does he want

They are the richest sports team in the world. When Arod is 40 and probably breaking the all time HR record in the fancy new stadium, paying him 25m with all the money this team has is a joke. Don't let the fact that they have made the playoffs 13 times in a row distract you from how much his production means to their chances of making the playoffs without him. He is easily worth 25m for the next 5 years, and when he is breaking the record towards the end of his career he will still be worth that much. Chances to acquire someone this productive are just extremely rare, and the yankees have a huge amount of money. Plus I would be very optimistic about how he will decline, he has shown extraordinary health and consistency, and this season was off the charts productive.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who can we spend it on now?
And is paying Arod 25 million to be DH in 6 years really that big of a deal given A its the Yankees B with the new stadium they will be generating even more $$$ C The Yankees can eat massive sums of bad contracts...Pavano+Clemens+Giambi+Matsui+Damon all in the last year or two. Plus in 6 years 25 million probably won't be worth what it is now.

We keep all our prospects instead of trading them for Tejada/Miggy. Plus we don't have a massive hole at 3rd base.
Don't really like Arod but its hard to argue against keeping him as long as we're not giving him like 35 million a year or soemthing