Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: What will you do if they reinstate the draft?
Enlist happily and fight for my country. 21 14.00%
F that, this war is stupid. 40 26.67%
Move to Mexico or Canada 36 24.00%
BASTARD!! 53 35.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Re: ***yankees official offseason thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
Can they buy out the rest of Giambi's contract? I feel like I heard that somewhere that they can buy him out for like 5 million, which is definitely worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a $22M club option with a $5M buyout for 2009. He gets $21M this year, so he essentially has a 1-year, $26M contract. And a full no-trade clause. No way he's going anywhere.

Arn Tellum really got the best of the Yankees on that one.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just have a sinking feeling Posada might get a 4 year contract. I agree with signing him for 2 years... but no more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no way they find anyone better than Posada in the short term, and they'll be able carry him offensively in a couple of years. By then they'll find a slugging corner outfielder (or two) and first baseman.

Plus, I'm not convinced Posada will be a terrible offensive catcher in three or four years. Even if he loses some power he's still going to get on base more than most catchers.

Resign him!
Old 10-10-2007, 05:06 PM

Around the Horn: "More Valuable: A-Rod or Torre?"

Tim Cowlishaw (paraphrased): Torre has won more than any other manager the past 7 years. You have to ask yourself when talking about a manager, does he put his team in a position to win? does he handle his pitching staff well? yes he is great at both of those...

Why do I waste my time watching these damn shows?
Old 10-10-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Swapping A-Rod for Betemit in 2007 would be enough to drop the Yankees to the range of Boston/Detroit.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK. This is not taking into factor any of the players on the Red Sox or Tigers (or other teams), and their regression/progression.

And if in addition Posada had hit like a typical catcher (well below 100 OPS+) the Yankees offense would have probably been barely above average.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he didn't. You can do this for any player, but it doesn't make much sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does make sense if you are responding to someone who thinks the Yankees don't need Posada or A-Rod to field a top offense.

[ QUOTE ]

Posada is almost certain to decline substantially

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm presuming you are basing this on the normal catcher's regression with age.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I'm basing it on the fact that Posada has a career OPS+ of 126, which includes the boost it got from last years 170. 36 year olds coming off by far their career best years aren't likely to come close to that again. Esp. if they are catchers. Torre was the manager when Posada put up a 127 OPS+ at age 34, and when he put up a 105 at age 33.

As far as aging risks, you also have to consider that other teams have young talent that's going to improve. Boston and Detroit may decline along with the Yanks, but that likely means other teams will rise up to take their place.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
does he handle his pitching staff well? yes he is great at both of those...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahahaha

Here's my question: Do we have any reason to believe Don Mattingly will be good at any of the things Torre was bad at? Afterall, his only experience coaching is sitting next to Torre, and Mattingly seems to love the guy.

Does anyone know much about Girardi's style? I've never watched a Marlins game, so I have no idea.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:17 PM

Hoyasaxa: I will set the O/U on Giambi's slugging percentage (minimum 40 games, 140 PAs) at .490 and take the UNDER. Expecting a guy who can't stay healthy as a DH to rebound from a poor season at 36 is rather unlikely. He's finished.

DesertCat is not taking into account the other lineups' rises and falls - he's not getting paid to do these analyses. Should he compare it to every other lineup in the league? More players in the lineup should regress than progress - that simple enough?
Old 10-10-2007, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Around the Horn: "More Valuable: A-Rod or Torre?"

Tim Cowlishaw (paraphrased): Torre has won more than any other manager the past 7 years. You have to ask yourself when talking about a manager, does he put his team in a position to win? does he handle his pitching staff well? yes he is great at both of those...

Why do I waste my time watching these damn shows?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Stick to the NHL Tim. I know I watch it to hear ridiculous things like that, but the closer it gets to a Skip Bayless comment from random silly musing, the less likely I am to watch.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:14 PM

Triumph,

I said it wasn't fair to categorize him as a below average hitter "IF healthy".

40 games and 140 plate appearances is not healthy.

Also, for you to ascertain that he is finished is wrong.

His 2004 season almost mirrors his 2007 season (OPS was worse in basically the same number of at bats), yet at the age of 34 (HE'S IN HIS 30's OMGGG HE'S DONE!) he still rebounded to finish 5th in OPS in 2005 and 6th in OPS in 2006.

Is it likely he comes back again and provides numbers close to those? No.

Is it correct to proclaim he's as good as done? No.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:53 PM

hoya -

Giambi has had a strange career - and he has bounced back from one nightmare season already. However, for you to think he will be healthy next year is almost laughable. He won't be. The guy can barely DH - he will be dinged up from now until the end of his career. Again, I'll set the line where I set it and take the under all day. I'll even move it to .485.

Maybe I should raise it to 80 games/300 PAs?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:53 PM

Desert Cat,

Posada will most definately decline this coming year, but he would still be a great option...

the problem starts coming into play when he wants a 4th season... he'll become such a black hole