Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 07-05-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Question about Ray Zee\'s Omaha 8B Book

page 185 paragraph 3, he talks about a "good" game. Is the good game the one where opponents are playing too loosely or where they are playing almost correctly. It is not entirely clear to me.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:46 PM

Default Re: Question about Ray Zee\'s Omaha 8B Book

How good is that book on Omaha? I have almost every other 2+2 book and they rule! Is this the best book for Omaha 8?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2007, 05:54 PM

It is actually 2 books in one: stud 8B and the second half is Omaha 8B. They have a very similar feel to other 2+2 books. Can't argue with Zee's credentials to write these books. Other than Todd Brunson's section on stud 8B in SS 2, I'm unaware of any other treatment on the topic.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:06 PM

The book is quite horribly written, and I still wonder how he management to organize the content this badly. But most people seem to think it's the best book on the topic.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:30 PM

At one time, it was definitely the gold standard for this particular game.

However, it was obviously written pre-internet boom and as such, the online games are a different animal as compared to live play.

I personally found it a little disappointing as compared to other 2+2 books, but still extremely helpful. The key though is to adjust to the game type that you're in. In other words, don't just follow the advice verbatim in all situations.

My wish list for future books would definitely include an update to this book with concrete playing examples, a discussion of some of the math, adjustments for online play, etc....but I also know it ain't gonna' happen.

I'd still recommend it along with Baldwin's chapter in SS2. Krieger/Tenner wrote what I thought was a good one for beginners but I know some posters didn't like it.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The book is quite horribly written, and I still wonder how he management to organize the content this badly. But most people seem to think it's the best book on the topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

When ripping a book because it is "horribly written", perhaps you should make sure your post is legible?