Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 11-26-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Partygaming Shares on LSE

With positive feelings about the reversal of the effect of the UIGA, what are the thoughts on the purchase of Partygaming shares?

The shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q?s=PRTY.L

They are currently trading at 25.25p. At May 2006 they were trading at ~ 150p.

How do you see the future prospects of these shares? Would the price already reflect the anticipated reversal of the legislation?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Partygaming Shares on LSE

I thought the consensus was party gaming was always over-valued even before the legislation. I was always bearish with party though so I may be bias.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:19 PM

there's not even assurance that people will switch back to party if the legislation is overturned
Old 11-26-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there's not even assurance that people will switch back to party if the legislation is overturned

[/ QUOTE ]

But the stock would surely spike if the legislation was overturned. After the intitial spike, it would be up to you to determine if the shares are worth holding onto or not. Being the poker players we are, I think we would have the best knowledge as to how party would be doing in this hypothetical scenario, and be able to decide for ourselves if the stock would be worth holding or not if the legislation is revoked.

That being said, I also believe it will be fairly obvious on these boards if the legislation has a serious chance of being revoked or not, and if it does, we should have ample warning time to shift our money into the gaming stocks to reap the rewards. The same was true looking back at when this legislations was passed, we had a few days while everyone was panicking and trying to write/call their legislators to vote against the bill.

Another example is when Party split away from Empire. We had that knowledge here hours before the press-releases and before the markets fully-reacted. If you were online and active at that time (and had the available funds), shorting empire was astronomical. Even if you found about it a day later you could have shorted and continued to ride the wave down.

Unless you think Party is currently experiencing high growth (I have not been watching them so am not sure), I would suggest holding until you here of a legitimate possiblity of the legislation being revoked (keep an eye on the poker legislation forum).
Old 11-27-2007, 04:11 AM

What's up with this? (crosspost from Leg. forum)

[ QUOTE ]
PartyGaming CEO halts share sale, takes options

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:06 PM GMT

LONDON, Nov 26 (Reuters) - The world's biggest listed online gaming firm, PartyGaming (PRTY.L: Quote, Profile , Research), said on Monday its chief executive, Mitch Garber, had taken options for 3.5 million shares and reversed previous plans to sell a chunk of stock.

Under his planned sale programme, Garber was to have sold shares between Dec. 19 and Dec. 31. He now holds 8.75 million shares in the firm, more than double the amount he is obliged to hold under his contract.

PartyGaming is waiting for a decision from U.S. authorities on its punishment for taking bets from U.S. gamblers last year before the law was clarified in October.

PartyGaming shares were up 2 percent by 1255 GMT. (Reporting by Marc Jones; Editing by Paul Bolding

[/ QUOTE ]

Reuters Link