Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-26-2007, 06:46 PM

Default Re: 17 way chop - was it a good decision

[ QUOTE ]
Say you won't chop unless you get $400, which means everyone else will get $230. To them it looks like they are each giving up $10 to get guaranteed money, not realizing that you're making off like a bandit just for being the "lone dissenter".

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the exact reason I posted this. After I got home I felt like I had left atleast 200 on the table by not demanding more money to chop. Realistically, everybody probably would have given me $20 a piece.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Juice is only $5 of the $25 buy in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh they're ONLY taking 25%? Play on

[/ QUOTE ]

20%

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, not sure actually. The way I read it, it's $25 total which meant $20 tourney with $5 fee...which would be 25% since the fee is generally stated as a percentage of the money applied to the prize pool only. If it's $25+5 then yeah it's 20%. I read it as a $20+5. (not that it matters, still too high, i just had to convince myself I didn't suck at math when I wrote 25%)

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the math differently, I consider the total amount I pay as the buy in and then do the calculatation accordingly. But yea, definitely a high juice.

[/ QUOTE ]

so it's actually a 20+5 then?
That's pretty lousy juice and even with really crappy opponents will still be difficult to overcome.
Yeah, I wouldn't play this again unless there is some sort of guaranteed prize-pool to it that leads to better value than what the 20+5 actually implies.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Juice is only $5 of the $25 buy in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh they're ONLY taking 25%? Play on

[/ QUOTE ]

20%

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, not sure actually. The way I read it, it's $25 total which meant $20 tourney with $5 fee...which would be 25% since the fee is generally stated as a percentage of the money applied to the prize pool only. If it's $25+5 then yeah it's 20%. I read it as a $20+5. (not that it matters, still too high, i just had to convince myself I didn't suck at math when I wrote 25%)

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the math differently, I consider the total amount I pay as the buy in and then do the calculatation accordingly. But yea, definitely a high juice.

[/ QUOTE ]

so it's actually a 20+5 then?
That's pretty lousy juice and even with really crappy opponents will still be difficult to overcome.
Yeah, I wouldn't play this again unless there is some sort of guaranteed prize-pool to it that leads to better value than what the 20+5 actually implies.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's guaranteed 4k, usually they have an overlay, that's why I was playing it, but with the holiday weekend there were enough players to cover.

Edit - that tournament was only guaranteed 2k, some of their 25 buy in tourneys are 4k guaranteed and some are 2k. I thought it was the 4k.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Say you won't chop unless you get $400, which means everyone else will get $230. To them it looks like they are each giving up $10 to get guaranteed money, not realizing that you're making off like a bandit just for being the "lone dissenter".

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the exact reason I posted this. After I got home I felt like I had left atleast 200 on the table by not demanding more money to chop. Realistically, everybody probably would have given me $20 a piece.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing with morons?
They take $220 each and you, not even the chip leader, get $560?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing with morons?
They take $220 each and you, not even the chip leader, get $560?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, most are morons.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3rd - 300
2nd - 500
1st - 750

[/ QUOTE ]
250 for 17th place when you are going to flip coins? Sounds good to me.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blinds 5k/10k, 17 players left, 20 got paid. $25 buy in, Chip leader had around 70k, short stack had about 15, I was sitting around 55k. Decided to chop 17 ways for $240 a piece (4th place money). Was this a good chop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Total number of chips in play?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Blinds 5k/10k, 17 players left, 20 got paid. $25 buy in, Chip leader had around 70k, short stack had about 15, I was sitting around 55k. Decided to chop 17 ways for $240 a piece (4th place money). Was this a good chop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Total number of chips in play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 500k
Old 11-26-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's not as if this is really a strictly EV-based decision anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. EV it's an ok chop. But seriously, youre playing a low level donker. Play for fun, and to tune up your game. You'd have to play these every day for weeks or months just to get ahead of the variance caused by all the donkeys, the juice and the escalating blinds to really have an edge.

Not to mention, any chop involving 17 players is a freakin joke just on principal alone!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:59 PM

Even if you are very risk averse (which you shouldn't be in such a small tournament), there is no reason to agree to a chop in this situation.

When you are the lone hold-out to a chop, you have an immense amount of power. It isn't that you decide whether there will be a chop or not, it's that you decide when the chop happens.

If everyone is really eager to chop, and you are risk averse, just keep playing very conservatively for a while while other people get knocked out. Basically, play it like a super-satellite. You can accede to the chop whenever your stack gets down below average, and make additional money without ever having a real risk of getting knocked out.