Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2007, 10:36 PM

Default 50NL Overpair facing river shove

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($53.65)
Hero ($57.30)
Button ($50)
SB ($8)
BB ($103.85)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, Button calls $6, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $5.

Flop: ($18.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $12</font>, Button calls $12, UTG folds.

Turn: ($42.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($42.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $32 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $74.75

I checked turn to stack a donk... then figured check/call river... maybe should've made a blocking bet?

I should have bet 15 on the flop I think too. As played I still think it's a fold... thoughts?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:58 PM

Default Re: 50NL Overpair facing river shove

Depends on your reads, you showed alot of weakness on turn and river.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:43 PM

given how you played it, i agree with your idea of a blocking bet on the river(folding to a raise obviously).... i raise the turn here though as to maximize the value from a flush draw or any jack (qj and j10 seem very possibly with a min raise pf)
Old 03-08-2007, 11:46 PM

Shove the turn
Old 03-09-2007, 12:46 AM

You obviously had a read that villain would bet the turn. I usually would push this unless villain was pretty aggro and possibly maniacal. I think a flush draw is a large part of his range. And bet more on the flop as you said. If you bet just a little more, your turn push doesn't seem nearly as large.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Shove the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think a J calls you often enough to make this good. C/R is dangerous since Villain will only bet if he wants it all in on that street.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:46 PM

you check turn and river? I call this for sure
Old 03-09-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I checked turn to stack a donk... then figured check/call river... maybe should've made a blocking bet?

I should have bet 15 on the flop I think too. As played I still think it's a fold... thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with betting more on the flop, I go close to potsize almost always...

You absolutely have to call this all in IMO... you've shown EXTREME weakness with your turn and river play. I think you're good here most of the time.

if you exclude villain's all in, and cut the hand off at your check on the river, you have missed A TON of value here. If you decide to make this play on the turn... and fail, I'm putting out at least 1/2 pot for pure value on river.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:56 PM

OP, I cant think of any good reason to check the turn. You provided no reads so I'll assume villain is unknown. Stackadonk is a good line, but its better against thinking and/or over aggro opponents. Against an unknown, you should be shoving this turn like always and watch them snapcall with any J or even worse a lot bc you obv have AK. As played, I'll call the river bc you checked the turn and river so he prob thinks his J is good.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:59 PM

Without a read on villain, its hard to say. If he really wanted to you to call, would he have pushed after you checked twice?

Maybe he thinks you have something like AK, or TT and thinks his AJ is good. The way you played it makes it look like that.

I think you call here since you practically begged him to bet at the pot by checking twice.