Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 01:56 PM

Default NL10 - Noob goes for a CRAI with a draw

Titan No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05/$0.10BB (Titan HH Converter by Kreatief)

Co is kinda passive, 22/6, and MP1 looks like a donk (40/10, not many hands though)

Hero is dealt 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

CO ($8.60)
Button ($7.26)
SB ($1.56)
BB ($8.94)
UTG ($8.20)
UTG+1 ($3.01)
MP1 ($9.22)
Hero ($23.84)
MP3 ($10.00)

2 fold, MP1 calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, MP3 checks,<font color="#CC3333"> CO raises $0.40 </font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds, </font>, MP1 calls $0.30, Hero calls $0.30, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ( $1,35 )
MP1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333"> CO bets $0.40, </font><font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises All-In $23,44</font><font color="#CC3333">, CO raises All-In $7,80</font>

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ( $17.75 )

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ( $17.75 )

Final Pot: $17.75

Usually I just call here cause the odds are sooo good, but Im trying something different out to implement some aggression in my usually very ABC game.

This is probably awful, and I'd like to know when shoving a draw is a good, +ev move and when it is just spew; also, I'd like to know if it's better to just raise it up to something like 3$ instead of going AI.

Would shoving 89d in the same spot be ok?
Old 09-05-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: NL10 - Noob goes for a CRAI with a draw

I dont think shoving a draw this way can ever be +ev as the hands that call will usually be monsters, espcially if Villan is passive.

When you have a big draw like 89d you want villan too call so i'd raise it here instead of shoving.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:11 PM

a raise is fine, but this raise is so big its almost a zero play. You clearly have outs, but idk if AQ is going to call you here and any pair lower than Q's clearly will not. When you are trying to change things up and be more aggressive you have to pick the right spots and the right bet size. Pot is ok...maybe a little less.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:31 PM

Disclaimer #1: I agree with most things said, shove seemed very very stupid because of pot size. Just trying to play devil's advocate here.

#2: after reading my post, Im pretty sure that converter messed up the betting action, cause it wasnt the original raiser that fired that feeble bet but a limp-caller, original raiser just called behind (100% sure of this). Thats why I considered that both QQ and AQ weren't very likely.

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think shoving a draw this way can ever be +ev as the hands that call will usually be monsters

[/ QUOTE ]

Which means: a set, but even that is a 35-65.

Let's suppose for a second that I stick a pot-sized raise (0.40bet+2.55pot=2.95) and get called: what do I do if a draw doesnt get there by the turn? The real problem here is that opponent will likely shove what he has left, which means 4.75 (or even less if the other guy calls) into a 7.65 pot, giving me 2.6:1, which is just good enough to call anyway.

That's why I figured that shoving looked a little better than a standard raise.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:14 PM

[Cant edit, dont know why]

BTW, the numbers above point out that if I make any decently-sized raise and a set shoves over the top, I have amazing pot odds to call.

So, unless i screwed up the numbers: Calling&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt ;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Shoving&gt;&gt;Raising&gt;&gt ;&gt;&gt;Folding, i guess.