Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Elezra vs. Baxter HSP...Huh?

[ QUOTE ]
@op:
elezra doesnt decide to run it ones. He just assumes correctly that baxter (who isnt drawing like elezra first thought), doesnt want to run it twice.
running it twice is done to lower variance in close all-in situations (60-40, 50-50, maybe sometimes 70-30). in this spot it doesnt make any sence for baxter to run it twice and elezra simply points out to that obvious fact.

how could this thread become 2 pages long?

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't even right... Eli just knows that he is such a long shot that he might as well just try to suck out once, and running it twice is just a waste of time.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ the morans wondering why Eli didn't request to run it twice when the hands were shown, and why Baxter wouldn't want to.

Running it twice is done in situations where it is in both parties' interests to reduce variance. Situations like a set v an OESD, bottom two against TPGK, flush draw against TPTK, ect. This is because when pros sit down to play, in a game they feel they have an edge in, they often don't want to needlessly flip when they feel they have can carve out smaller pots or get it all in with a much better equity. This is especially true when playing with 1 or 2 bullets.

Aside from being completely dead on the flop, Baxter had Elezra in as good as position and anyone can hope to be when the money goes in. Why would he want to reduce variance? He is like 95% to win the hand. Elezra on the other hand is pretty much dead. Yeah, I guess you could say there's no reason why Baxter shouldn't want to run it twice, which pretty much hedges against any chance of losing. But at the same time, why give Elezra double the chance to split a pretty big pot? And it wasn't Baxter that refused running it twice anyway. Elezra is a gambler, and unless he was up against a live draw, there's no reason to ask to run it twice and chase a pretty futile dream of chopping, anyway.

If you nits are so scared of getting your money in on the flop as a 95% favourite, why are you playing in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's usually a good idea to not call people morons, especially when you're about to say something moronic yourself. It's also a good idea to pay attention to the question, so that you don't preach an answer to something no one asked.

Running it twice always reduces your variance without changing your EV, whether you're flipping a coin with a combo draw on the flop, or have someone drawing to one out on the turn. It's never a bad idea to choose an option with lower variance when you're ahead, if your EV is not affected.

The original question I posed was why it's a bad idea for Baxter to agree to run it twice. The answer is that it's not a bad idea, the math is in favor of running it as many times as possible, up to the whole remaining deck. If he wants to take extra risk for no reward, that's his decision, but the smart thing to do is to always reduce variance for the given EV.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:30 AM

It's not a big deal...Eli asked before Baxter turned over his set. Eli is just a fun guy who likes to run it twice, we've seen this a lot from him on HSP like Farha, thinking Baxter had some kind of draw or two pair, but when he realized he had one out, he was like f it deal the river.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
@op:
elezra doesnt decide to run it ones. He just assumes correctly that baxter (who isnt drawing like elezra first thought), doesnt want to run it twice.
running it twice is done to lower variance in close all-in situations (60-40, 50-50, maybe sometimes 70-30). in this spot it doesnt make any sence for baxter to run it twice and elezra simply points out to that obvious fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you seem to think so, and I seem to think so, and there are a handful of others who seem to think so, but those who do NOT think so seem to believe that we'd have to be imbeciles to believe such a thing.

Again, it's typical. Ask a question to the ballers here in the TV forum, and they push aside all their, uh, bling, and look to excoriate and ridicule.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:37 AM

I think that the players usually agree on running it twice before they show their cards.
In this case... Baxter didn`t respond to Elezra`s question before the showdown and just flipped his cards over after which Elezra probably correctly assumed that Baxter is not willing to do it with so strong of a hand so no point in pushing the issue no? [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2007, 10:00 AM

it's pointless having this circular arguement but it still seems to me that Eli was simply saying "oh well either ill hit my 2 outer or I won't."
Old 10-07-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that the players usually agree on running it twice before they show their cards.
In this case... Baxter didn`t respond to Elezra`s question before the showdown and just flipped his cards over after which Elezra probably correctly assumed that Baxter is not willing to do it with so strong of a hand so no point in pushing the issue no? [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my assumption as well, but now I am second-guessing it. The naysayers have responded with such hostility and aggression that I can only assume we must be thinking wrong.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That was my assumption as well, but now I am second-guessing it. The naysayers have responded with such hostility and aggression that I can only assume we must be thinking wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should have made your point clear in the original post.
As someone else pointed out, I still don't have a clue what your "what the [censored]" is directed at.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should have made your point clear in the original post.
As someone else pointed out, I still don't have a clue what your "what the [censored]" is directed at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, you're right about this.

In my OP, I was commenting on the fact that it seemed to me that it was Elezra who had made the decision, which I considered an odd one.

I have since come to realize that

a.) It was arguably not Elezra who decided it, and
b.) Even it had been, it is not a definitively "odd decision."

I apologize for any ambiguity.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
run twice: elezra wins half pot rarely, loses whole pot most the time, wins whole pot extremely rarely

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm, never?

I don't think Elezra is going to make quads twice. DUCY?