Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the two situations? Where would you rather find youself in ?
At the Fabulous 22 40.74%
At the Star 32 59.26%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2007, 03:36 AM

Default Quasi-Awesome Preflop Question

Some medium stakes game. Say, 40-80.

Two wretched players limp in middle position. They are both very very very loose and passive/straightforward postflop, although they "take one off" a little too often.

Both blinds are very tight (the two tightest players at the table), with the SB being a bit tricky/TAG, whereas the BB is maybe a bit weaktight, but a winning player.

You are on the button with the 76 of spades. Your image is a bit Laggy, but tough. The blinds probably pay attention to your image, but the limpers certainly are clueless. First, I'd like to commend you on your seat selection. Secondly, what do you do with your hand? Do you raise to isolate/eliminate the good players? Do you limp because you like multiway action with your hand? Do you fold because you hate money?

Thanks,

Josh
Old 08-02-2007, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Quasi-Awesome Preflop Question

limp.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:02 AM

Pretty easy limp on the button. Change that to one or two off and it's different depending on who's to act behind you.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:33 AM

What about T9s? I think anything above this is an easy raise, and anything below is an easy limp, amirite?

Edit: Hmm, what VP$IP would you say the fishies are? Giving them top 80% not discounting premiums I think we have a slight edge with 87s 5 way...
Old 08-02-2007, 04:54 AM

I didn't see the option for "raise because they are spades" so I pretended your reason to raise was my reason to raise. You play poker?

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-02-2007, 08:44 AM

I limp here and raise with T9s+ and may consider raising if the whole table had already come along as opposed to just 2.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:11 AM

The concept behind having a poll for this question is the problem, and that's because everyone's answer should be "sometimes I raise, sometimes I limp." 76s on the button after 2 bad limpers is the perfect situation to have a "mix it up" policy.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The concept behind having a poll for this question is the problem, and that's because everyone's answer should be "sometimes I raise, sometimes I limp." 76s on the button after 2 bad limpers is the perfect situation to have a "mix it up" policy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-02-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I limp here and raise with T9s+

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very slightly in the "raise" camp, but can be persuaded to change. for the record, I limped in this hand, then thought it was a small mistake.

See, I think that a lot of reasons to raise w/ 76s don't apply to T9s. For example, if the SB has something like Q7, you'd obviously want them to fold preflop. However, if the SB has a bigger Ten, they likely won't fold preflop to my raise.

So, getting out "dominating" hands is a viable reason for raising 76s that doesn't apply much to T9s. Also, the "bigger spades" factor....You'd want the BB to fold 82s if you have 76s, in case a flush comes. However, if you have T9s, you'd want 82s in there if spades comes.

My point is NOT that "you should raise 76s". My point is simply that I think if you want to raise T9s here, you should also raise 76s.

I guess I just have such a strong desire to play only against bad players that I like the raise. Maybe my preference for this is keeping me from doing the right thing, though.

Josh
Old 08-02-2007, 03:13 PM

I don't like raising with either of these hands on the button like this because I don't want to get isolated by the SB. This assumes that even these bad players would fold to two more bets. Even if they would play for 3 I would prefer to get in cheap as possible to see the flop.

Also, I find when I raise with 76s or the like and the flop really hits me (two pair or better) it looks like I have a big overpair and the surprise factor diminishes in value.