Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 12:21 PM

Default How to deal with Angle Shooter?

Playing 1/2 NL at Beau Rivage last night and my third hand i get dealt two black kings. I raise it up from early position and get 5 callers. Flop comes Q 10 5 rainbow. I bet about 80% of pot and guy immediately to my left pops me to $100. I had already tagged him as a fish in the two previous hands. I move in for $80 more and he calls.

Here is where it gets interesting.....he says "You got a set too?" I tell him, nope, your set is good. Turn and River bring blanks and i say again - your set is good.....he keeps waiting for me to muck....not being an idiot i don't and he finally flips up his AQ for top pair on board and i show my kings winning the pot.

Now i know i made the last bet and he called so i am suppose to show first but when he declares a hand that i tell him is good and he is trying to get me to muck that's a clear angle-shot.

How do you deal with a guy like this?

Since i had just sat down i didn't want to set my image as a complainer. Plus he reached back in for more money and i figured (correctly by the way) that he would be doing this many times so i didn't want to tap the glass. So i kept my mouth shut until he left the table.

Oh - later he put a bill in his pocket and i asked him "what happened to the bill you had on the table" his response "i went south with it".....lol......i explained that you can't do this and gave him a chance to correct his "mistake" and he didn't so i called him out on it to the dealer.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: How to deal with Angle Shooter?

I had a dream of a similar situation last night (wow...) and was wondering what I'd do if someone miscalled their hand like that.

Call the floor is what my dream state said, but no idea if they'll give these guys more than a warning.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since i had just sat down i didn't want to set my image as a complainer.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could tell right away that this player was an angle shooter? I'm thinking he was just trying to dig some info from you since you just sat down.

As for the "Rat holing" you mentioned, that is not acceptable. Telling the dealer was the right thing to do.

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2007, 01:09 PM

I would have just tabled my hand after the money went in, raked the pot, and not given it much more thought than that. You're first to show. It's not like you're giving away a lot of information by showing Kings after this action, anyway. This doesn't really strike me as an angle shot.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You could tell right away that this player was an angle shooter? I'm thinking he was just trying to dig some info from you since you just sat down.

As for the "Rat holing" you mentioned, that is not acceptable. Telling the dealer was the right thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guy miscalls his hand - how is this not a problem? Maybe angle shooting is wrong word but miscalling your hand in an effort to get a player to muck is not and should not be acceptable. He does this to an inexperienced player and that player could easily muck his hand.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:01 PM

Can someone please site a rule that says what the guy did was wrong? I think you guys are way off base.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone please site a rule that says what the guy did was wrong? I think you guys are way off base.

[/ QUOTE ]

From Roberts Rules of Poker:
THE SHOWDOWN
1. A player must show all cards in the hand face-up on the table to win any part of the pot.
2. Cards speak (cards read for themselves). The dealer assists in reading hands, but players are responsible for holding onto their cards until the winner is declared. Although verbal declarations as to the contents of a hand are not binding, deliberately miscalling a hand with the intent of causing another player to discard a winning hand is unethical and may result in forfeiture of the pot. (For more information on miscalling a hand see "Section 11 - Lowball," Rule 15 and Rule 16.)

http://www.playwinningpoker.com/poker/rules/basics/
Old 07-08-2007, 02:22 PM

It's unethical but it will never result in forfeiture of the pot.

I just woulda tabled my hand on the river or do what you did and waited for him. This is less angle shooting to me and more table banter, luckily you were smart enough not to do something stpuid that would cause you to forfeit the pot.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:48 PM

Pretty weak angle to be worried about. Just flip your cards and the problem solves itself.

b
Old 07-08-2007, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Guy miscalls his hand - how is this not a problem? Maybe angle shooting is wrong word but miscalling your hand in an effort to get a player to muck is not and should not be acceptable. He does this to an inexperienced player and that player could easily muck his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which, technically, is the fault of the person folding the better hand. After all, if a guy mucks and the other guy doesn't show, does anyone know?

But you're right,it is wrong, but it's really not that big of a deal.

b