Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Stuff to do In Chicago

I'll be out in Chicago for work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week, and was looking for suggestions on places to eat and stuff to do.

I was leaning towards catching the Cubs game Monday night, and I want to go check out a couple of the houses that Wright designed (what can I say, I like architecture).

In addition I'll obviously have to get some pizza at some point. any favorite pizza places?

I'll need t find a good place to grab dinner.
I was also thinking a good brewpub would be nice, or just a good bar that I could find me some college girls, or maybe an urban cougar.

you guys were helpful with places in Manhattan, so I figured I'd again seek your advice.

any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2007, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Stuff to do In Chicago

Jump off the Sears tower or go visit it..Hai why not do both?
Old 06-06-2007, 11:03 PM

Come this weekend for blues fest. Tomorrow-Sunday. It's always a really good time. It's like the taste, but smaller with better music. Other than that I'm not in the city too much, but I would come a day or two earlier to catch that.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:07 PM

baseball is a good start....my favorite places

Science Museum...(check out the U boat)

The whole campus near soldier field....contains planeterrium, field museum, and aquarium.

ESPN zone...fun place to stop in and chill

Gino's East - very good pizza (some will disagree because they think its too mainstream or some stupid [censored]...but I think its delicious)

Exchequer - Restaurant and Pub...all I remember is this is a nice little place to eat dinner in a cozy bar...decent food...for some reason Ive carried their business card in my wallet for over 4 years...so I dug the place..

Navy Pier...play some skeeball...and such..

Plenty of fantastic restaurants so I wouldnt suggest a place like espn zone or ginos unless you are looking for a pre or postgame meal...you'd be able to find much classier joints for a formal dinner...
Old 06-06-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In addition I'll obviously have to get some pizza at some point. any favorite pizza places?

[/ QUOTE ]

People from Chicago seem to insist that I eat Giordano's when I am there.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:40 PM

alright cool, I'll pick one of those pizza places, or else just go to both.
I do feel like I should go to the Sears tower, but I don't think they'll let me jump off of it.
I think I'll do the baseball game, I don't know if I can get out before Monday though, I have some prior engagements for Sunday so I can't fly out until Monday early AM.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:03 AM

Genos East, Giordanos and Lou Malnatis will all server you pretty much an identical tasty pizza
Old 06-07-2007, 12:08 AM

Hot Dogs - Portillos

Pizza Ginos east is OK for Deep dish Style...If you make it about 35 miles north of the city, Bill's in Mundelein is awesome.

Mr Beef for the Italian Beefs

More upscale

Lawrey's for Prime Rib

Bob Chinns on the River is also good for a 30-50 $ dinner

Chicago Chop House is one of the more famous steak houses

If you make it to Wrigley, there are plenty of watering holes in that area. (sluggers, cubby bear, and many more)

The Science Museum as mentioned before is called "the museum of science and industry" and yes it is pretty cool.

Shedd Aquarium if you like fishies

Part of Halsted Street is gay town....Avoid club Bangcock, Gentry's, and the Manhole....unless that's your thing. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Admiral Strip Club a possible destination.

Rush Street used to be the Hotspot for the younger crowd....not sure anymore, but Wrigleyville will have many places with various ages of females.

Welcome....have fun
Old 06-07-2007, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People from Chicago seem to insist that I eat Giordano's when I am there.

[/ QUOTE ]

They really do make a great pie. There is always some snarky type that says they suck and blah blah place is where you should go instead. [censored] all that. Giordano's ftw.

Before your appointment at the Sears Tower you should probably stop by the Ukrainian Village and punch my ex-wife in the uterus.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:03 PM

Roq,

If you search for other recent posts, there's been good Chicago discussion. I feel my posts have been very good!

Some personal highlights:

1) Signature Room for drinks some clear night. Best on weekdays! Amazing view, with a bar, instead of lame assed observatory room at Sears tower. Sears tower = $12 elevator. Hancock tower = $10 drinks, free elevator.

2) Pizza: Giordanos, Pequods, Ginos, and Lou Malnatis are all very good, it just depends what you like. Hell, even Unos in Chicago is good. Personally I like Pequods jalapeno and pepperoni pan pizza, but whatever floats your boat. For something different and awesome, consider the Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Company.

3) Hot Dogs: Anyplace but Portillos. Nah, I mean you can get a decent hot dog there but meh. Hot Doug's is only open a few hours a day, but does both good standard and gourmet dogs. Any of a number of other places make really good hot dogs as well and don't feel as commercial, gigantic, and impersonal.

4) Museum: I'd honestly say go for the Art Institute over the Science and Industry. Shedd and Field are both clearly nice too.

5) Consider Fish and Chips at the Duke of Perth. All you can eat 2x a week, but I can't remember which non Friday day it is.

6) For steak: Don't go to Lawry's, they've changed a lot lately and it's just not as good. Consider N9NE, and the Ghostbar. Chophouse is quite good. I like Custom House. You'd really have to try hard to find a bad steak around town though.

7) The Wright stuff is pretty intuitive, it's all in one place and you just go out there.

8) Consider Cafe Spiaggia, if you're up for a great meal. There's tons of other great restaurants, any ethnicity or price range you can think of.