Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 02:41 PM

Default \"My biggest position\" thread

After reading DesertCat's NICK thread - and seeing the great discussion and analysis that followed - I figured there might be some interest in a thread where people say what their biggest position is, and if they want, to defend why it is so. My biggest position is First Marblehead(FMD), a company which provides securitization services for major financial institutions in private education lending. This was the first stock I ever 'found' myself after its pummelling from a high of 48 to a low of 14(split adjusted) about a year and a half ago. The price was driven insanely cheap due to the public largely misinterpreting the news surrounding the stock, and I was able to convince myself to pull the trigger after reading Tom Brown's convincingly bullish articles on bankstocks.com. After averaging down several times(though since I was a newb, I did take some profits off at 22, [censored]) - I have still managed over 200% on this stock which also happens to be the stock I've invested the most initial capital in - so that's pretty much why it's my biggest position. I still think the company is very very strong going forward(the Motley Fool's Hidden Gems newsletter advised buying this stock about 6 months after my initial position) for reasons I can detail if people want, so I haven't taken any off the table in the last year or so.

But I am very curious - what's your biggest position(and why, if you feel like it)?

James
Old 02-02-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Re: \"My biggest position\" thread

BXL- http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=2#Post8977582

ACH- maybe ill write a full write-up sometime, for now i'll give the reader's digest version. ACH is relatively well protected by the chinese government, it seems to be priced relatively cheaply, and it is positioned very well to take advantage of the growth of china, india, and russia (i think?). Basically as those economies grow, demand for aluminum should go up considerably, and ACH should be in a great position to take advantage of it. if you are wary of china, i would look at AA (alcoa, which is the largest aluminum producer in the world). AA does own something like 13% of ACH fwiw.

ALL- Allstate insurance. I got beat up pretty bad on the 31st after its annual report, i think its undervalued. Long term i think insurance is a great place to be, i am studying to become an actuary so i could be biased on that one. BRK also seems like a good buy, i do not own it however.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:11 PM

MHK - Mohawk Industries, a carpeting company, probably the best one in the nation. I used to do work for them, and just bought into their stock, and just kept increasing my position and have been very happy.

Biggest Fund I own is DODFX, Dodge and Cox International, followed by CGM Realty
Old 02-02-2007, 03:13 PM

VTI
Old 02-02-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
VTI

[/ QUOTE ]

VTI sucks. It's all about FSTMX.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
VTI

[/ QUOTE ]

VTI sucks. It's all about FSTMX.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your reasoning for VTI sucking?
Old 02-02-2007, 04:51 PM

I would just caution people reading this post from jumping into some of the stocks mentioned without doing their own research. For me as of now its Valero (VLO). I have also been adding to my position in Nuvelo (NUVO). My reasons? I love to lose money [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2007, 06:43 PM

CHTR
Old 02-02-2007, 06:55 PM

GLD is my biggest position at the moment.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:52 PM

VWO.