Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Middle Set - Standard?

idk, I think limping UTG w/ 88 in a full ring live game is fine. I definitely think that, in live full ring, having a preflop strategy that involves no limping with these type of hands especially in EP isn't close to optimal
Old 10-21-2007, 04:17 PM

I like your play here, only suggestion is to open for a raise. But it is a personal pref, and I probably open limp once every 10-20 hrs of play. In general I hate an EP open-limp.

After 2 rounds you should have a decent read on the texture of the table and know if it is apropriate for the game you are in, but I rarely worry about a 3-bet in a live game, and even rarer will a 3-bet be over $60-$75

Back to your Q on the river, get it in every time here. It may occasionally be a T9, but this is usually Q's-up or A's-up. Call.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:10 PM

Perhaps in your particular live games there is no three betting. In the games I've played, it's fairly frequent.
As stated above, you aren't playing ideally if your strategy involves no limping with hands such as 88.

3 bets, if made, might fall around, or just above, the $60-$75 range. Please keep in mind that we are $550 deep, so we would have to stack someone virtually every time we flop a set in order to justify calling $75 (depending on the size of our open).
Old 10-21-2007, 05:14 PM

# of two pairs > straights

call
Old 10-21-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As stated above, you aren't playing ideally if your strategy involves no limping with hands such as 88.

3 bets, if made, might fall around, or just above, the $60-$75 range. Please keep in mind that we are $550 deep, so we would have to stack someone virtually every time we flop a set in order to justify calling $75 (depending on the size of our open).

[/ QUOTE ]

Understand the points made. I used to be strictly no open-limp philosophy. I have adjusted to do it occassionally. Around once per session, maybe a little more often my last few trips, and it is always very situationally specific for the table, stack sizes, and what I feel is my table image.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:45 PM

Looks fine to me. I can't see a LAG not reraising preflop if he had QQ-AA. So, for hands that he might play preflop without a reraise that end up pushing the river, he might have 44, J8, QJ, AQ, JJ, and 9T or even a crazy hand like KT. If he has 9T/KT/JJ, then I guess you pay him off since he'll have 2-pair or a lower set often enough to make a call profitable.

You flopped a set. You played it fast. And you are ahead of the range with which villain might push on the river, so call.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:02 AM

was this hand played at oceans by any chance?

i think raising and not raising with 88 is = ev because people play so bad live that it does not mater how much the pot is pre, they will still get all the money in with one pair.