Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 01:50 PM

Default 5/10 NL Live; Tough turn call?

Only moved up to 5/10NL a month or so ago (1/2NL; 2/5NL had been my regular games). I worry that I play too tight at the higher bet tables….what's my proper play here?

No real big hands between the villain and I. Both of us have been sitting for a few hours. I definitely have a TAG reputation. While I wouldn’t label the villain as loose, he is certainly not tight. Similarly, he is aggressive.

Full Table; Live

Hero: about 4000
Villain: about 3000

Hero holds Jh Jd on the button

Preflop
- Two limpers.
- Hero Bets 100 (slightly larger than my standard $75 raise)
- BB (villain) calls; MP calls
Flop
5d 6h 8c
- Check. Check. Hero bets $300
- Call. Fold.
Turn
7s
- Villian bets out $750

Hero’s move?
Old 10-15-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Re: 5/10 NL Live; Tough turn call?

fold
Old 10-15-2007, 02:19 PM

I did quickly fold, but thought I may have acted in haste. Like I mention in the original post, I am worried my play at the higher bet tables may be too tight (I may be thinking too much about this hand as an instance of that tighter play). With that in mind, I was still in a tough call spot….I have trouble seeing Villain make any other play given that board (so he could obviously be holding any two cards). But the only way I can go over the top (I never see myself calling in that spot) is if I have a tremendous read; which I didn’t have.

- Does your opinion change if I am holding KK or AA?
Old 10-15-2007, 02:20 PM

Fold.

Do you often bump up your opening raise with hands like JJ or was this a factor of the limpers ahead of you?

Important to think about, because your line screams over-pair, and the villain is trying to get some value. I don't think he has the nut straight, but at least two pair or the 9-high straight.

If your raise was due to your cards, get used to this situation bc you will face it often. If you raised bigger due to the limpers then it is a pretty good pre-flop play, and a bad board.

To your follow up question... my opinion doesn't change if you played KK or AA this same way. You are still behind the same hands that are betting into you on this board.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:24 PM

U raised 10x bbs and got two callers. Is playing too tight really an issue?
Old 10-15-2007, 03:06 PM

xtwalker - thanks for the advice....in this situation, my raise was more a factor of the limpers than my cards. Knowing the limpers, I really felt that if one of the blinds called, I was going to get two more callers behind... I wanted a thin field and got one. Your completely correct about my starting hands being easily identified given my TAG play (obviously this is always a concern for us tag player). But I am (like most everyone else) aware of this and certainly vary my starting hands (especially for bets in late position) At that point in my session, however, I didn’t get a chance to show any of these hands…