Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: is FPS becoming a new trend for SMTT 2+2ers?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
guys...seems like lately there have been a lot of posts where people are trying to outplay opponents with fancy moves and bluffs...It tends not to work at low blind levels and low stakes!!!!

Value is king and focus on using reads to determine the best way to extract chips when you actually have a hand rather than trying to tell a story to a donk who could care less...

Late in tournies where chips get more value and opponents are often a little better you can start putting pressure and repping hands in spots...bottom line is people will pay you when you have the best hand...don't waste chips (unless you have a specific read) on a far fetched eloborate bluff when you are better than the competition...

That is all.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this and i always look askance at posts that preface an FPS line with "my image is...i've been playing really..." In most low stakes tournaments your opponents aren't even thinking about what cards you are holding, so why would u then assume that they have been observing and are cognizant your VPIP, or betting patterns?

[/ QUOTE ]

erc...the one area that I use my image and reads most is when I do have a big hand and I want to make the most off of it...yoou're right that most people ignore what we are reping and will decide to bull ahead
Old 10-12-2007, 03:57 PM

Well said.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
guys...seems like lately there have been a lot of posts where people are trying to outplay opponents with fancy moves and bluffs...It tends not to work at low blind levels and low stakes!!!!

Value is king and focus on using reads to determine the best way to extract chips when you actually have a hand rather than trying to tell a story to a donk who could care less...

Late in tournies where chips get more value and opponents are often a little better you can start putting pressure and repping hands in spots...bottom line is people will pay you when you have the best hand...don't waste chips (unless you have a specific read) on a far fetched eloborate bluff when you are better than the competition...

That is all.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this and i always look askance at posts that preface an FPS line with "my image is...i've been playing really..." In most low stakes tournaments your opponents aren't even thinking about what cards you are holding, so why would u then assume that they have been observing and are cognizant your VPIP, or betting patterns?

[/ QUOTE ]

erc...the one area that I use my image and reads most is when I do have a big hand and I want to make the most off of it...yoou're right that most people ignore what we are reping and will decide to bull ahead

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing that a lot of SSMTT's/2p2 posters are good at is making/extracting the most when we have a huge hand. One of the things that separates the really successful MTT's (i'm not one of them) from the good ones is extracting the most with med strength hands. I think that good MTT's tend to play hands like TP/GK in really std/non-creative ways without giving any thought to alterantives that might be more profitable against weaker players. The really successful MTT's don't need a big hand to prompt them to really concentrate and think of the best line to extract, they consistently are doing this in any pot in which they play. An example of this (which i'm trying to work on) would be making thin value bets on the river.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

against an EP limper, you just have to keep an open mind. If he's trappy, so be it, but you can gauge trappiness from his stack size a bunch

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate on this bolded part? I would be very
interested in seeing an example or 2 of suspicion of a
trap/read that opponent is weak, based on the stack-size
gauging. Thanks!

-ZEN
Old 10-12-2007, 04:42 PM

one thing I've been seeing lately is people limping QJ/JT/T9 sooted hands utg and shoving over my raise...of course it's usually done by the truly retarded who can't recognize that they have no FE and I have to call. Of course they win the race against my AK/AQ.

As far as fancy play, in tourneys I play the players are generally so bad I have to keep it very straight forward. The few times I mix it up it's stuff like delayed c-bets. I can get more value out of made hands and take a pot down easier with air. The occasional time I make any sort of move, a villain calls me down with the bottom end of a low straight when the board is 4 to the flush. In the spirit of BBV perhaps I should move up to where they respect my raises.

erc, I agree that a successful MTT'er is capable of making thin value bets on the river. Sometimes it surprises me just how often people in SMTT are quick to say "check behind on river since worse hands don't call". I know there are many instances where the prudent play is checking behind, but I know in order for myself to improve I need to find those thin river value situations.