Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 10:13 PM

Default Re: \"My biggest position\" thread

I look at all the relevant parties and try to figure out their possible motivations and assign subjective likelihoods to them based on known information(valuation metrics, macro trends, tender conditions, positions, etc.) and my own personal view of human nature(Sklansky method!).

I actually don't have much conviction in this particular position, but the payout is worth the risk in this case.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:12 AM

GLRE

only cause i got a special deal on it

edit: and believe in the fundamental value oriented underwriting strategy that it's pursuing

we'll see...
Old 05-31-2007, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ACH- maybe ill write a full write-up sometime, for now i'll give the reader's digest version. ACH is relatively well protected by the chinese government, it seems to be priced relatively cheaply, and it is positioned very well to take advantage of the growth of china, india, and russia (i think?). Basically as those economies grow, demand for aluminum should go up considerably, and ACH should be in a great position to take advantage of it. if you are wary of china, i would look at AA (alcoa, which is the largest aluminum producer in the world). AA does own something like 13% of ACH fwiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

ACH is an interesting company that may make a good topic of discussion for another thread. The company has grown its earnings at over 45% annually since 1999 and is currently trading at less than book value. I haven't done much research yet and would like to know why ACH appears to be so undervalued.

ACH's annual reports are here if anyone else is interested.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ACH- maybe ill write a full write-up sometime, for now i'll give the reader's digest version. ACH is relatively well protected by the chinese government, it seems to be priced relatively cheaply, and it is positioned very well to take advantage of the growth of china, india, and russia (i think?). Basically as those economies grow, demand for aluminum should go up considerably, and ACH should be in a great position to take advantage of it. if you are wary of china, i would look at AA (alcoa, which is the largest aluminum producer in the world). AA does own something like 13% of ACH fwiw.

[/ QUOTE ]

ACH is an interesting company that may make a good topic of discussion for another thread. The company has grown its earnings at over 45% annually since 1999 and is currently trading at less than book value. I haven't done much research yet and would like to know why ACH appears to be so undervalued.

ACH's annual reports are here if anyone else is interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

i just sold it about a week ago. it was up 45% on the year at that point (which is when i bought it). i think when i bought it, it had just gone up like 30%-40% in the previous 3 months or so. so its made a huge run.

despite the huge run, its still trading cheap considering its underlying value imo (which i just notice you already commented on by saying its trading near book value). I took the money off the table strictly because i needed some cash and i came across another stock or two i wanted to invest in.

hopefully the "china bubble" will burst and ACH will drop big in the next few months and i can jump back into the stock. i have no reason to believe that will actually happen though.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:32 PM

MO

THEY SELL ADDICTION.

BUD

THEY SELL ADDICTION TOO. THE DIVIDEND CHECKS ARE REAL GOOD FOR BOTH AS WELL.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:43 PM

My largest holding in dolalrs has become apple. Purchased it at $37 2.5 years ago and have not sold a share. I think the stock is overvalued, but people love Apple so much it does not matter. They could trade at 60x PE and people would still buy it as long as they release cool new gadgets.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:41 PM

I sold my AAPL position around $80 as I thought it was overvalued =(