Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2006, 02:02 PM

Default Do the big name Scientologists simply have endorsement deals?

Do you think people like Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes, Nicole Kidman, John Travolta, Isaac Hayes, and others are truly brainwashed by such complete garbage, or do you think that the very rich church of Scientology simply provides them with fat $$$ amounts and other benefits to claim they belong to that church so that the church can attract more fresh meat and make even more $$$? I mean this would obviously be smart business, perhaps even necessary. I cannot imagine that these people are actually fooled by this crap, although Tom Cruise seriously does not seem like a normal human being anymore.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Do the big name Scientologists simply have endorsement deals?

I am completely ignorant on the subject. Can someone briefly explain the gist of Scientology for me? I'd appreciate it.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:27 PM

Wiki article, be sure to check out the Xenu part!

In depth super secrets of scientology

Keep in mind that only a very very small % of scientologists are at a level high enough (or have enough money) to be exposed to the completely ridiculous crap. They by no means bring you in with the knowledge of there being such complete and utter crap, and they thoroughly inspect whether you are brainwashed enough to handle it before doing so.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:35 PM

I can't imagine Tom Cruise needs money that badly that he'd endorse a religion he doesn't believe in. I think they're just brainwashed.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:46 PM

I think they may be just whackjobs.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:47 PM

I'm willing to bet they get money from Scientology.

I'm also willing to bet the church holds those crazy nights where they killed a whore, and that time they experimented with 4 other guys after a coke binge, and the fact they touched their niece when she was 7 locked up after the confessionals, so long as the stars stay nice.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am completely ignorant on the subject. Can someone briefly explain the gist of Scientology for me? I'd appreciate it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stat,

Rolling Stone mag just did a story on Scientology -I think the issue before the current one. Maybe you can find a copy. (If you can't find it, I still have it. If you want you can PM me and I will mail it to you.)

RJT
Old 03-14-2006, 03:43 PM

Thanks RJT, I'll look for it. In the meantime, I did find some info on the net. Thanks again.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think people like Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes, Nicole Kidman, John Travolta, Isaac Hayes, and others are truly brainwashed by such complete garbage, or do you think that the very rich church of Scientology simply provides them with fat $$$ amounts and other benefits to claim they belong to that church so that the church can attract more fresh meat and make even more $$$? I mean this would obviously be smart business, perhaps even necessary. I cannot imagine that these people are actually fooled by this crap, although Tom Cruise seriously does not seem like a normal human being anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be interesting to see a comparative religion analysis of scientology and a more conventional religion. While scientology is quickly dismissed as "brainwashing" and "complete garbage", I doubt that an impartial observer would find Christianity (for example) any less ridiculous.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It would be interesting to see a comparative religion analysis of scientology and a more conventional religion. While scientology is quickly dismissed as "brainwashing" and "complete garbage", I doubt that an impartial observer would find Christianity (for example) any less ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think many people dismiss most other religions in the same way, its just that the costs associated with attaining "knowledge" associated with this religion are completely ridiculous, not to mention the fact that it was contrived by a person that claimed "the fastest way to get rich is to create a religion", and who was a drug-using science fiction writer. Frozen aliens being brought to this planet in B8-looking jets and vaporized with bombs, and their souls cought in a magnetic field and then forced to watch 3-D movies to brainwash them into believing Jesus, Buddha, Satan, God, etc, which then attached themselves to humans, all in some grand scheme by an alien lord named Xenu. Half-decent science fiction story at best Hubbard, but definatly a great price tag. To attain this grand secret of the scheme of things costs you hundreds of thousands of dollars. I mean, come on.