Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Pushing small pairs?

Spreads like a disease, anyone noticed? Lately, I've seen an increased amount of Villains going crazy with small pocket pairs. For example, someone raises from EP and Villain pushes from LP/blinds for 10BBs more with 44, praying original raiser doesn't have a higher pocket pair. Ok, there's a small FE involved, but most players are often calling pushes with a very big chunk of their EP raising range. An even worse example I find more and more common, is Villains calling pushes with small pockets, this time no FE and only a slightly larger stack than shover's stack. Say CO is pushing with 10BBs behind, then there seem to be no problem calling that push with 33 and 14BBs behind. WTF is the reason behind this "Please let it be a coinflip"-move?

I'm just confused and wondering if anyone else has noticed? I don't mind pushing random mid cards when I know 22 is in their calling range...
Old 11-01-2007, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Pushing small pairs?

good question... I have no clue but have noticed the same thing.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:09 PM

Rocco,

If there are high antes and LP raiser is shoving a very wide range, calling with small pairs is often correct if you're one of the blinds.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rocco,

If there are high antes and LP raiser is shoving a very wide range, calling with small pairs is often correct if you're one of the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, dat... I might be passing up a small edge here, but I'm always being put of by the fact that it's either a flip or I'm dominated. At which level does it become +EV to call with small pockets? And what range do we have to put Villain on to make it profitable? I'm gonna look for some hand histories and do some calculations...

Guess I was just tired and pissed last night after having my pockets two-outed by "stupid" calls. I realize now that widening my pushing range only makes it more profitable for my opponents to call with small pockets.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:11 AM

Rocco...when blinds and antes start to represent a large % of stacks we need to invite flips rather than avoid them...small pairs are a gamble yes but doubling stack at mid to late stages is a nice reward too