Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 07:35 PM

Default I need some help with the microlimits

I posted this in the small stakes board and they told me to post it here, so here I am:

I started playing poker 2 years ago, and kept doing free rolls until I finally won 2$ in the poker stars PPA free rolls back in march. From there I played the 2cent/4cent limit games, and slowly built up some money to play with. By July I had 250$ in my account, and was playing at .50$/1$ games. Since then however I went on a big losing streak, and now only have 60$ left.

I used some of the Fpp's I had earned to get SSHE from poker stars. I will admit that I an not the greatest player out there, but I know that I should have more money in my account than I have right now. I purchased the book so that I could improve my understanding of the game, and I will admit there are many things in the book that helped. But one problem that I have with the book is that the main idea behind it is a guide to crushing loose games and amateur opponents. Although the opponents are amateur, there is not a single game on pokerstars that qualifies as "loose" ( more than 5 people on the flop). Although this does happen sometimes, the majority of the time, everyone folds, someone raises preflop, and it becomes a heads up match or threeway. This is where I struggle the most.

At the rate I am going, It will take me many years to build up a bankroll that is good enough to play for even 2$/4$ or 3$/6$ games, which is where I want to be. Right now, I am forced to play at .25/.50 due to my low bankroll. Since I am a college student, I cant afford to deposit large amounts of money to play with, so it seems to me like there is no way for me to make a reasonable profit playing poker. I have a very good mentality towards poker and have great discipline, but even with all of this it doesn't seem to be working.

I would just like to know how some other people got started, and maybe you could send me some suggestions that would help get me out of the micro stakes and become able to compete at the small stakes. Also, if there is anything wrong about my mentality, feel free to tell me so. Thanks alot.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: I need some help with the microlimits

Did you consider asking people to send money via player to player transfer instead of 1BB/100, since you seem to assume that you have the right to get their monies anyway?

[i]edit, to add a little content. Study the game, contribute to the forums and 120BB is not nearly enough to play 0.25/0.5 if you cant redeposit
Welcome
Old 09-14-2007, 08:08 PM

I am impressed that you got up to $250 from nothing.

I can also understand what you are experiencing on Pokerstars.

You need to develop an understanding as to how to play well post flop.

Good preflop play is a requisite. However, you need good postflop play to do well.

You dont have enough $ to play for a living now, and unless you can reload you dont have the bankroll to play at higher stakes.

You will definitely improve your game by particapating in the hand discussions at this forum.

To get out of the micros, I think that you need the cash to play with. You also really need to know how to play too.

Play within your limits and what you can afford now. Participate in this forum and learn to improve your game.

Then when the time comes, I am sure that you will be someone to be feared at your table !

Apologies for my long rambling post after having had a few beers.

Good Luck [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2007, 08:11 PM

Read books, read the forums, post hands, post on other's hands, and always be trying to improve. And never think you're too good for some sick ass variance, even the best have ridiculous swings.

LHE takes thick skin and an open mind.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:14 PM

This is my 3rd time through the micros, cashing out twice before. In June I had $5 at PS. Its up to $110 now mostly playing 6 max limit to 20 cent bb.

If I hadn't played a few sitngo and NL trying to get up faster as you seem to want to do it would be $170 and I would be playing the next lvl up. I understand the frustation of making nickels and dimes; a year ago I was making 2 to 3 hundred a month.

Bottom line its about patience and playing good poker, and studying and practicing and writing.... things college students are supposed to be good at, so I assume it will come to you.

Don't play to make money however just yet. Play to learn good poker. I look at the micro's as a great tool because I get to play and learn and at the same time get my education subsidized like I am on a scholarship.

It doesn't matter that some of your friends probably have a better scholarship than you, the fact is you qualify for the bursary so take it, run with it and be glad you are here asking questions and willing to get more free tutorials from some amazing teachers.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:22 PM

trust me ur really preaching to the choir here bud. we all have probably been there. i know i have been to the point where i was 6 tabling 3/6 making 1.5 bb per 100 per table for a couple months. and trust me its nice to have that kind of money

but then i withdrew and i realized when i dropped back down to .5/1 my game really never changed all that much. u cant think about it if ur winning 1.5bb/100 whether it is 9 dollars per 100 or if its 1.5 per 100 hands. all that matter is the fact that its a BB

dont worry about the money that will come with time and practice and ull just slowly grind ur way up to the point where u can have a good score in a tourney by only buying in for the price of a BB.

all that matters are decisions, and every time u sit down at the table u are making tons of them by where u sit, how much ur risk, how u play a hand etc. dont worry about the money that all comes in time, now worry about playing good poker so when u are at higher limits u are crushing them and making money u couldnt dream about.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:44 PM

From what I've read 250bb's isn't enought to be playing NL100, and 120bb's isn't enough for nl50. You're going to get some pretty big swings in your bank roll from getting stacked a couple times. I 've built my bankroll up to $260 and am still playing .05/.10 games. Plan on doing that till I'm at around $500.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From what I've read 250bb's isn't enought to be playing NL100, and 120bb's isn't enough for nl50. You're going to get some pretty big swings in your bank roll from getting stacked a couple times. I 've built my bankroll up to $260 and am still playing .05/.10 games. Plan on doing that till I'm at around $500.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude this is a limit forum. we dont say BB meaning Big Blind it means Big Bet...i think ur lost
Old 09-15-2007, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But one problem that I have with the book is that the main idea behind it is a guide to crushing loose games and amateur opponents. Although the opponents are amateur, there is not a single game on pokerstars that qualifies as "loose" ( more than 5 people on the flop).

[/ QUOTE ]
That's where we come in; we fill in what SSHE doesn't have the space to do. Not all games are a perfect fit for the book, but you can easily beat Stars .25/.50, though I'd advise dropping to .10/.20 for the moment. All you need are some of the lessons SSHE has and a lot of independent learning, done through posting here (mostly responding to others' hands and not just popping in to drop a hand on us and waiting for our advice like manna from heaven) and experience. Don't get discouraged.

Also . . .

I'd hate to impose any additional burdens on you, or make you think of that awful day again, but you also just happen to be the only VT student I've ever spoken to in any fashion, so I humbly ask you this: if you pass the memorial anytime soon, please pray (if you're a praying person) on my behalf for all the victims but especially for Dr. Librescu.

Thank you.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But one problem that I have with the book is that the main idea behind it is a guide to crushing loose games and amateur opponents. Although the opponents are amateur, there is not a single game on pokerstars that qualifies as "loose" ( more than 5 people on the flop).

[/ QUOTE ]
That's where we come in; we fill in what SSHE doesn't have the space to do. Not all games are a perfect fit for the book, but you can easily beat Stars .25/.50, though I'd advise dropping to .10/.20 for the moment. All you need are some of the lessons SSHE has and a lot of independent learning, done through posting here (mostly responding to others' hands and not just popping in to drop a hand on us and waiting for our advice like manna from heaven) and experience. Don't get discouraged.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's interesting that all the LLHE books talk about loose games with six or seven players seeing every flop, when these games don't actually exist in online poker (at least, not commonly on any sites I have ever played). I assume these games are mostly B&M with drunks and tourists since I've never found anything like regular super-loose games online.