Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: $3 Million Downsizing.............

1/3 of his downswing came in one hand...
Old 07-23-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It would be hilarious to see Brian grinding 10/20 NL in 6 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

For the same reason it was funny to see Jerry Browne be the mayor of Oakland, see Flava Flav on the Surreal Life, to see Britney Spears become a fat ugly estranged wife etc

[/ QUOTE ]

wow...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah wow. Britney, Flava, Jerry Browne et al are scumbags for the most part. Brian, afaik is not. I like to see scumbags get what they "deserve". Brian I prefer to have success.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but going on to lose like 55 buyins after that downswing cant be easy
Old 07-23-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Staying on top The lifespan of many poker players seems to be relatively short. For some its days or weeks, for others its months or a couple years. Rarely do you find top quality cash game players who last longer than that. There is always the flavor of the month (flinbop) who runs his roll up very quickly and then proceeds to lose it all back in a matter of days. I always see new faces in the big games and within 30 hands I know if this new guy is going to be around for a while. People like flinbop really showed me the importance of good bankroll management. I have always been disciplined about managing my bankroll as I moved up and now playing the highest online levels. In fact, I think I am one of the few poker players who have never gone bust (That's not completely true I initially deposited $50 and lost that and had to redeposit $300). I always practice good bankroll management and I am very willing to move down when times get tough.

Even some superstars come and go. Look at Mahatma (Prahlad Friedman), he was beating everyone and everything in sight for many months and then went busto. He had many issues like tilt control which ultimately ended his career. From him I have learned the importance of staying in control of your emotions and if you don't have an edge (He lost most of his money playing Patrick and Johnny HU on prima) walk from the game. I have been applying this to my HU PLO game where I definitely need some work before I take on Benyamine again.

Then there was Johnny Lodden who couldn't lose at HU NL. He was the reigning champ at Prima for years until Fast Freddie tilted him causing a massive downswing. Then Geoff finished him off when his confidence was decimated. I think there's a fine line between the confidence needed to succeed and deluding yourself you still have an edge when you are consistently losing and should select easier competition.

Then there are poker players like Taylor Caby, who had great success but for one reason or another got bored with poker and don't enjoy playing as much as they once did. I think that I am lucky that I really enjoy playing poker. Maybe it is that I am newer to the top games than some of the aforementioned player, but I wake up in the morning and it's like I'm a kid on Christmas morning going to open up all his presents. Inevitably, one day I will become bored with poker and most likely move on to another career. But my intention is to keep enjoying what I am doing for a long time. This was one of the reasons I decided to join CardRunners. I believe in what they do; educating players to the solid fundamentals of being a winning player. Being involved with CardRunners has introduced many business elements I wasn't aware of until now. I'm hoping that by adding my CardRunners responsibilities to the mix of my poker interests it will prolong the burnout factor associated with grinding online poker exclusively.

Currently, one of the most successful online poker players is Patrick. One thing I have learned from Patrick is that being balanced is very important. He has been around a very long time in the online poker world (I am a noob compared to him). I think he has had such longevity while others have come and gone because he is extremely diligent about his health and not playing long hours. This is something that I have worked into my routine. I workout regularly and eat well which has really improved my table concentration.

I want to stay on top for the forseeable future and I realize that there are going to be younger, hungrier, and smarter players that are going to come along and challenge me. I am going to need to constantly improve my game to stay ahead of these players (Just look at the big winners in the NLH games on FTP I am one of the oldest). I remain dedicated to studying and to keep learning the game even if I think I am the best because there will be others who come along who will challenge me. I will not let complacency or any of the aforementioned vices be my downfall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I found this article/post damn good.
Aba should probably re-read it.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We really need the old aba

[/ QUOTE ]

wheres the old vitor belfort?!
Old 07-23-2007, 02:05 PM

I think the bigest problem with ABA is he start off Live game in the wrong direction which make his ego went skyhigh. Before Vegas trip he got biggest month in his live +1.5mil on FTP.
Then his 1st trip he got lucky comeback and win.
Then he start thinking it's too easy to win. He play win billionair who talk with him about making billion which make he think making million is too small now. Before his downswing he play 4-5 session bad but still win lucky maybe? now he play good and lose. Anyway ABA is a great player all he need to do is step away from live game for awhile concentrate more on-line poker and he'll be fine. I'm willing to stake him with 50% on my BR as long as he play on-line poker.

Good Luck ABA. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but going on to lose like 55 buyins after that downswing cant be easy

[/ QUOTE ]

3M was the total, 1.2 was online (between 20-30 BIs).
Old 07-23-2007, 02:15 PM

if you watch the cr videos you occasionally see his FTP balance, it was like 1.5m in one i think before the downswing... he should easily have another 5m offline he can play if necessary.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:21 PM

Hope he pulls it together, though if he doesn't get his head and money management skills together soon, I doubt it'll happen.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:40 PM

wow, he might have to live in the ftp mini cooper