Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Gambling against Residence Hall rules here...

[ QUOTE ]
I live in the Wisconsin dorms too. Last year I played poker online on many different sites and never had any problem with software detection or anything over the network. My RA saw me playing poker multiple times (the door was open, he walked by) and never cared.

Its nothing to worry about.

What dorm are you in btw?

[/ QUOTE ]

im in one of the kronshage dorms - im not worried about any software detection, just my RA. To give an example of how bad she is, one of my floormates wrote "Eric is a Ghetto Thug" on a white board hanging on my friends door and my RA ended up erasing the word "Ghetto"
Old 09-05-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I live in the Wisconsin dorms too. Last year I played poker online on many different sites and never had any problem with software detection or anything over the network. My RA saw me playing poker multiple times (the door was open, he walked by) and never cared.

Its nothing to worry about.

What dorm are you in btw?

[/ QUOTE ]

im in one of the kronshage dorms - im not worried about any software detection, just my RA. To give an example of how bad she is, one of my floormates wrote "Eric is a Ghetto Thug" on a white board hanging on my friends door and my RA ended up erasing the word "Ghetto"

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell her to [censored] off if she does that. Don't let her do [censored] without calling her on it. RA's are normally people who fail at life. You need to challenge her every step of the way otherwise your first year is going to suck (it sounds like it may suck anyway). She doesn't (or at least shouldn't) have any right to erase a word like ghetto from a white board. Tell her that then write it again.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can only shut the door at night because its [censored] hot during the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. get a fan
2. close door
3. play poker
Old 09-06-2007, 01:05 AM

I've never had a problem with RA's and online poker in the dorms (I lived in them at U of I for two years). Whenever me and a few friends would play dinky $5 to $10 games, we would just hide the money so if the RA came in we would just say we were playing for fun and no money was involved. If she decides to report you - no money was seen so you can't legitimately get written up.

Anyways, if she is that big of a biotch - just play live somewhere else. Again, online should NOT be a problem.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:45 AM

Just close your door and get a fan. It'll only be this hot for like... another month anyways though if you can't wait out the heat. :/
Old 09-06-2007, 10:24 PM

Sounds ilke you need to smack this RA around a litlte bit. My RA freshman year in college was just like this, and we used to mess with him all the time. One time I got in trouble for playing wiffleball in the lobby of our floor, and he wanted me to write a 5 oage paper on why not to play wiffleball in the dorm.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds ilke you need to smack this RA around a litlte bit. My RA freshman year in college was just like this, and we used to mess with him all the time. One time I got in trouble for playing wiffleball in the lobby of our floor, and he wanted me to write a 5 oage paper on why not to play wiffleball in the dorm.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? i mean I can see why it would be a problem but 5 pages of saying that over and over again would piss me off...

of course my 3 page essay about drinking was drinking is bad because i act different when i drink and therefore drinking is bad over and over...

Having never lived in the dorm it seems IMO insane that they can tell you that you can not play online poker.
I would doubt you would get an any real serious trouble if you did get caught it would simple be a hastle.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:32 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
"[...] and online gambling from the residence halls."

[/ QUOTE ]

How would they know? I ask because the student handbook at my university states that students have a right to privacy when it comes to Internet usage and e-mail, as long as they use their own machines and there's no reason to assume they're doing something illegal. I mean, I would think that if you're playing online behind a closed door, your TA isn't just going to barge on in. You should take that with a grain of salt, though; we had SNGs in the lounge every Saturday night in my freshman dorm, so I've never been in your position.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:20 PM

i always thought an RA's job was basically to keep you from getting in real trouble with the university, not to play cop and get you in trouble
Old 09-10-2007, 12:57 AM

haha RA's suck, but seriously you cant hide the money your playing with? its soooooooo like, not hard at all yo