Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Books with online poker content to be banned?

Some points from a lawyer:

1) there are very, very few exceptions to the first amendment. Obscenity is one, but that obviousy doesnt apply to poker.
2) another sort of exception is that providing direct information aiding illegal activity can be made illegal itself: if I verbally give you a drug dealers phone number so you can buy drugs, I have committed a crime, not engaged in protected speech.
3) but if I give you that number in the context of a long scholarly article on why drug laws should be changed, I may have still committed a crime, but the 1st Amendment would still stop the government from "banning" my article.

Sites wont get banned, though some may get prosecuted.

The 1st amendment does not apply to private businesses, nor does the due process clause. If an ICS dropped a site because the DOJ politely asked (not reguired) the ICS to do so, no consititutional violation has occurred. But the the site would have a case in court over possible breach of contract, and any site or internet user that continued to use the services of any ICS that did that should be ashamed.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Not the Same

Finally, permafrost added:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The owner of the web site is not even entitled to a hearing or any other due process.

[/ QUOTE ] False. The ICS must be given a "notice" and an "opportunity" to appear as part of the process.

[/ QUOTE ]
The ICS is usually not the owner of the web site. This is not due process for the person whose speech is being censored.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry StellarWind, I didn't follow your terminology. I see what you meant now.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Censorship

The worst part of censorship is XXXXXX XX XXXXX XXX XXXX.

[Edit: Unacceptable post required xxxxxxxxx.]
Old 03-30-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Not the Same

[ QUOTE ]

Xxxxxxx, xxxxxxxxxx xxxxx:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Xxx xxxxx xx xxx xxx xxx xxxx xx xxx xxxx xxxxxxxx xx x xxxxxxx xx xxx xxxxx xxx xxxxxxx.

[/ QUOTE ] Xxxxx. Xxx XXX xxxx xx xxxxx x "xxxxxx" xxx xx "xxxxxxxxxx" xx xxxxxx xx xxxx xx xxx xxxxxx.

[/ QUOTE ]
Xxx XXX xx xxxxxxx xxx xxx xxxxx xx xxx xxx xxxx. Xxxx xx xxx xxx xxxxxxx xxx xxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xx xxxxx censored.

[/ QUOTE ]

Xxxxxx XxxxxxxXxxx, X xxxx'x xxxxxx xxxx xxxxxxxxxxx. I see what you meant now.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-30-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A huge gray area of supplements has been banned...so has ephedrine, and pot, and tons of other crap that shouldnt be...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a nitpick here,

Ephedrine and Prozac are both synthetic drugs, patentable, and much more expensive, and much more dangerous (based on potency) than their "natural" counterparts which were banned by the FDA to enrich the pockets of drug companies and FDA officials. (L-Tryptophan was banned the day after Prozac was approved for market... imagine that)

The natural forms are now legal again, they are Ephedra and HydroxyTryptophan. L-Tryptophan is still illegal except for agricultural use. (depressed cattle or some such nonsense)
Tryptophan is found naturally in fish and milk.

GHB another banned substance is found in fruit and clothing and all kinds of things. GHB is thought by some researchers to be an important chemical in cancer treatments, but because it is banned we will never know.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
our government basically sucks and they do whatever the hell they want, modern day witchhunts, if they can ban every reasonable sports supplement, and the anarachy cookbook, i am assuming they can do this as well. i am starting to be ashamed of being a us citizen.

[/ QUOTE ]

starting? hah.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:47 AM

I think that government is doing all that because they can't deal with other important things. Maybe they should ban the burger too, because it's unhealthy..
Old 03-30-2007, 12:57 PM

The government should be busy banning more destructive activities like masturbation....
Old 03-30-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary by the Merriam-Webster Editorial Staff

[/ QUOTE ]

I've gotta question the validity of that one.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:36 PM

It goes like inflation. That's how button raises started to happen at CO, and now CO+1. Early April Fool's Day jokes - that's exactly the same thing. A few days early is kinda money now. You can't stop it, just hop in the bandwagon and be the first next year.

Also legistlators can get great ideas from threads like these. There are a lot of books that really should be burned. In fact, vast majority of them. I call them burnies.