Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2006, 07:33 PM

Default Spot I may be messing up.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($712.90)
MP ($701.76)
CO ($440.95)
Hero ($688.50)
SB ($616.30)
BB ($168.13)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $22</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $22, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($53) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $43</font>, Hero calls $43.

Turn: ($139) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $100</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $278</font>, Hero ?.

If I have a read that he is just taking a stand vs a possible float, I'll just call here and try to check it down.

Should I be pushing incase he is semi-bluffing, or betting with ace high, and I will sometimes lose the pot when he hits? Even though it is extremely rare that a worse made hand is ever calling?

Other examples:

I raise a tight early limper with aq, flop is 22q, he cr, I'm ahead there 100% of the time but just call even though now I'll probably only get action if he hits his two outer.

I raise preflop in mp, both blinds call. Super aggro tag leads out pot on j75 flush board. I just call with tptk types since I'm usually vs air that hoped I whiff, or a monster. Sometimes against mid pair type hand where I win a decent value bet, or lose to a decent bet if they improve. But doesn't seem like as big of a deal since pot isn't as big.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Spot I may be messing up.

In hand 1, his turn c/r has you crushed most of the time IMO. If you fear he's taking a stand against your float, don't bet the turn-check it through and call the river. You really can't stand this turn raise, and you should fold to it. Next time, there is no reason to bet the turn if you're suspecting that he's suspecting that you're floating. Just keep the pot small and induce a river bluff.

Hand 2, you're wrong that you'll only get action if he hits a 2 outer. If he has a pp, he may put you on AK or a pair yourself, and might try one more time to push you off it. He can also have KQ/QJ and after he bets the turn, he commits himself to go broke on the river. Just calling is definitely correct there. Guys WILL continue to bluff, and if he does check the turn, check through and value bet the river.

Hand 3, I agree to just call most of the time there.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:16 PM

Hand 1 you're dead in the water. The board is pretty dry, JT is the only draw (and you fold 2 Js), and even a draw probably wouldnt do something this ballsy. Reads make a massive difference, but 95% of the time its a fold.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:27 PM

Hand 1 I usually take your recommended line, but I feel like I have been playing on autopilot while multi-tabling and playing too predictable. I didn't think he would ever check this turn to me with a monster since I'll check behind pretty often, and once I bet it looks like I'm stealing.

Hand 2 He was a nit and has 33-55 almost everytime, maybe ax suited. Plus pot was about how much we each had left on the turn so there wouldn't be much room to milk bets from him. Wonder if just calling is a form of fps once pot gets big, even if I know I'm good.

Hand 3, maybe not the best example, but more of an example that I try to control pot too much with one pair type hands, and really good players can take advantage of this, bad players seem to bad beat me more than other players.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:34 PM

Hand 1, he will surely check/raise the turn with monsters if he feels that you are floating him, and he'll do it with less. It's kinda standard to c/r the turn with strong-very good-good hands in this situation.

Hand 2, how is it FPS? It's the only way for you to get money from a worse hand, to give him the chance to bluff.

Hand 3, really good players can take advantage of it, but you at least put them into a situation where they have to fire hard on the turn, and you can exploit that later with a real hand. I enjoy making good players play big pots with me.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:24 PM

Bukem,

I don't understand your thinking through this hand. You call his raise preflop with position with JJ. You call his flop bet when an overcard hits. So why are you being the aggressor on this turn when you have no idea whan you are at. If there was evere a time to check behind, this is it.

You're playing this hand like you want to see a showdown. You obviously are trying to play this hand cheaply, but then you make a bet that goes against the grain of your play. If you are willing to risk $100, why not check the turn and call his $100 bet on the river? Now you can't call this and have to lay down maybe the best hand.

It is a bad thing to make bets in situations where your hand contains some value but your bet can't handle heat. No Q or better is folding here ever. So I'm not sure if your bet was meant to be for value (which doesn't exsist) or a bluff (which is pointless because you won't make a better hand fold).