Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 06:29 PM

Default players claiming they are winners.

I play a bi weekly game with some decent not great but decent players. It is $40 buy in and 40-50 show up. It seems like every one there is pros or something. Every sigle person talks about how they are winners. Some even go as far to say that they "play poker for a living" I have pulled alot of money out of this tournament. In fact it has paid house and car payments for the last 5 months. My wife in fact has done almost as well as me there. I have kept track on paper where we are at. I average take in $1000 a month after tip and buy in. Net profit of a grand. This particular league does use a points system (not the greatest way) and I crush the field. My thoughts are, "if these guys are making money doing this, man I should." What should my thoughts be about it. I know that I am still learning as I learn something knew all the time. I stay in books. I for some reason only play break even online poker but live I am crushing the games I find.

Note: I final table almost everytime. I did have problems heads up for a while. I won the first 2 this month already. For some reason heads up ppl were pushing with less then premium hands and I would look down at premium hands and they would crack them. Usually 1st gets about $500 and 2nd gets $280. I only won 3 times total in the last 5 months and the last 2 included hopefully the all in any 2 cards heads up doesn't keep killing me there and my profits rise.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: players claiming they are winners.

A player who makes a living from poker would NEVER claim to be a winner. There is no advantage in it.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A player who makes a living from poker would NEVER claim to be a winner. There is no advantage in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's obviously not true. There are a lot of pros and strong, winning players that don't hide it (and don't need to).

A lot of people are very FOS about their poker skills though. It's not like a boxing match where the inferior player typically just gets his ass kicked. No, in poker you can blame bad luck, variance, dealers, rigged poker sites, bots, etc. If that all fails you can just lie.

How many times have you seen some noob show up here claiming to be God's gift to poker? Weekly? Many are exposed to be total donks looking for attention before too long. Some may be somewhat more advanced and can hide it better, but then they say something eventually that shows their inexperience.

You should even see some of the [censored]-talk that goes on at some of the 1/2NL cash and $60 tournies tables when I deal. Everyone's an expert there.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:39 PM

I am playing 1/2 and I am making 3+k every month, so yes I could make a living from it.

And I don't get how only 5% of the players are winners, poker is so easy, just find sites with fishes on it, you don't even need to play well then.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am playing 1/2 and I am making 3+k every month, so yes I could make a living from it.

And I don't get how only 5% of the players are winners, poker is so easy, just find sites with fishes on it, you don't even need to play well then.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true, if everyone studied the game hard there would be 100% winners instead of just 5%.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:19 AM

I'll go out on a limb and say no one who is entering a $40 home game tourney is a pro.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So true, if everyone studied the game hard there would be 100% winners instead of just 5%.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. DUCY?
Old 07-08-2007, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]
Broken sarcasmometer? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2007, 03:49 AM

Online or live?
How many hands/Hours are you playing?
Old 07-08-2007, 03:50 AM

How could there be? There would be no winners without losers. ?