Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:40 AM

Default Weird email exchange with epassporte

I recently received an email from ePassporte saying that since I was nearing a $5k account balance they wanted some additional information from me in order to "reach a level of comfort." They requested that I scan a copy of my driver's license, bank statement, and credit card. It all looked legit and I got the same message directly on epassporte so I went through with it.

Now I just got this email asking for an additional scan of a different credit card number, and the email looks like it's written by a Nigerian or something:

[ QUOTE ]
Hi xxxx,

I can understand now your situation with your load card ending in #xxxx.
That you try to use it, and it did not work when you first tried to
sign-up for it. But! This now, at this point, the old card is not the
card you want to use. The card ending in #xxxx is the card that you want
to use at this point. I completely understand!
Now! To complete this process, this is what needs to be done! We can
activate this card for you, but before we can do that, we need another
statement sent in, other then the one you sent already. The problem is
the statement you sent already, did not have your address that we have
on file for you. Please update your account. Once this is done, we will
complete this process.

If there are any questions please ask them.

Pointer Williams
Card Operations and Risk Assistant
pointer.williams@epassporte.com
Fax: (310) 564-1751

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically I'm just a little apprehensive about all this scanning and emailing pictures of my credit card stuff and I'm wondering if anyone else has received these emails.

Edit/MH: This is the type of info that should be posted in the official ePassporte thread, for the benefit of all future readers interested in all things eP.
Old 03-30-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Weird email exchange with epassporte

was this message sent to your personal email, or through the epassporte message system that is only used when you log into your account.

if this was sent to your personal email, it certainly does look sketchy and i'd give them a call just to verify. you wrote this post 5 mins ago, so I assume you're still awake, this is prob a good time to try to call them as their call volume is probably pretty low at this time of night.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
was this message sent to your personal email, or through the epassporte message system that is only used when you log into your account.

if this was sent to your personal email, it certainly does look sketchy and i'd give them a call just to verify. you wrote this post 5 mins ago, so I assume you're still awake, this is prob a good time to try to call them as their call volume is probably pretty low at this time of night.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first emails about "reaching a level of comfort" were sent through the epassporte message system. and also showed up in my personal email account. This most recent email did not show up on the epassporte message system, but since it is just a reply to an earlier email that was sent officially then I'm not sure if it would even show up on their webpage. I'll give them a call.

just for completeness, here is the first official email:
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Accountholder,

You are receiving this notice as a courtesy regarding your ePassporte account.

ePassporte closely monitors your account to ensure that your funds are protected from fraudulent use. The cumulative amount of funds in your account is approaching USD $5,000.00 . As a security measure and for your protection, when your epassporte account balance reaches USD $5,000.00 , we will require you to provide us certain information in order to authenticate your account, including:

(i) a photocopy of a government-issued ID with your picture on it and

(ii) photocopies of the front and back of the credit card or debit card which was last used to add funds to your ePassporte account. [Important Note: If you have not loaded your account with a debit or credit card before, a copy of the front/back of any debit or credit card would suffice, as long as the name matches that on your ePassporte account. Alternatively, a copy of a utility bill (Ex. electricity, gas, or phone bill) would suffice, as long as the name and address matches that on your ePassporte account.].

Should you wish to submit this information in advance, we prefer that you scan (or take a digital photo) and then email these documents to accountverification@epassporte.com, as this method works best and is most legible. Alternatively, you may fax the requested documents at (310) 564-1751, Attn: Account Verification. Please keep in mind that facsimiles are not always clear, and we may request that you re-fax your verification documents if any of these documents are illegible. Please be sure to also include your name and ePassporte User ID for reference.

Thank you,

The ePassporte Team

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-30-2007, 04:07 AM

it should be fine. just send in your additional doc to accountverification@epassporte.com and attach the "weird" email to it. I have probably sent in the docs (Credit Card, Driver License, Bank Statement, Utility Bill, etc) more than 5 times to accountverification@epassporte.com, never have had a problem. I wish that Epass messaging system could allow user to upload these documents in an encrypted way so user don't have to use an external email system to send in these sensitive/private documents. Every time when I use gmail to send in these documents, I am very nervous worrying that somebody could intercept them in the middle of transfer...
Old 03-30-2007, 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hi xxxx,

I can understand now your situation with your load card ending in #xxxx.
That you try to use it, and it did not work when you first tried to
sign-up for it. But! This now, at this point, the old card is not the
card you want to use. The card ending in #xxxx is the card that you want
to use at this point. I completely understand!
Now! To complete this process, this is what needs to be done! We can
activate this card for you, but before we can do that, we need another
statement sent in, other then the one you sent already. The problem is
the statement you sent already, did not have your address that we have
on file for you. Please update your account. Once this is done, we will
complete this process.

If there are any questions please ask them.

Pointer Williams
Card Operations and Risk Assistant
pointer.williams@epassporte.com
Fax: (310) 564-1751

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It sure doesn't give any sense of security knowing a guy like that would have access to Drivers License Number, DOB, Visa card numbrs, etc.
Closed Thread