Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 11:48 AM

Default Lateral Moves

Background: the Vp who hired me retired last summer. Guy they brought in to replace him announced that he was going to create a Director level position within our group, and that he was "going outside the organization" to fill it. I'm the group manager, so this effectively stymied my advancement here. I've been with this firm for 4 years.

So I've interviewed for a couple of jobs, none of which was a decent fit - either too long a commute (I do 60 miles each way right now, about 90 minutes each way, which is the most I can tolerate), or uninteresting technology, or unappealing roles, etc.

So a recruiter contacted me and pitched a manager-level job at the largest firm in my field in Massachusetts. Even though it's a lateral move, it would be a little more money, a mere 13 miles from my house, and the technology is very cool. My staff would be smaller, with just 3 direct reports, but they will all be at the same site (currently I have people at three plants on the east coast).

I do want to keep my career progressing, but this gig is attractive even though I wouldn't be getting any more stripes. So what's the OOT perspective on lateral moves? Good, bad, meh?
Old 01-31-2006, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Lateral Moves

I take the new job and if something better comes along, then I take that. Think about the benefits here:

More money, less pressure
Lesser commute=less gas money
Ability to challenge yourself with "cooler" technologies.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:02 PM

Trout,

I'm at a similiar impasse in my career. I can stay where I am now with effectively no further advancement, or I can move to another company where I'll be able to at least have a chance to move up.

I'm in the process now of doing just that.

The pros I see for you:

Closer to home
more money
chance of promotion
all direct reports are local
smaller staff
you already know the job

Cons:
fear of unknown
it's a big company

In this case, I think the pros outweight the cons.

Whatcha think?
Old 01-31-2006, 12:04 PM

Have you had a frank discussion with those in your current organization regarding your current and future roles?
Old 01-31-2006, 12:10 PM

I think the previous 2 posters have hit it pretty well.

Here is my contribution:

is there room to move up in the new org? If so I think this is a winner. There is nothing in the rules that says EVERY move has to be up. I took a move down about 5 years ago to get to a more desirable geograpic location and have since moved up and past where I was.

Also, its never a bad thing to expand your range of knowledge and see how another organization operates.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!
FishNChips
Old 01-31-2006, 12:17 PM

Before you move it is also important to ask yourself what you want to be doing in 5 years, or even 10 years. "Want" is key, you may not realize it but right now you like what you do but can you see yourself with your current company in 5-10 years? can you see yourself with the new company in 5-10 years?
Old 01-31-2006, 12:54 PM

You guys rock.

I think my current boss has been planning on turnover. One of my colleagues resigned a few weeks ago, and the boss has a short list of replacements - all of whom have worked for him before. That Director position was filled by one of his cronies, too, and that person has worked with him now in 3 jobs. I'm not sure what a frank discussion about my situation would accomplish. I get the feeling that he expects me to move on.

So, it looks like this guy has a core group of buddies that he tries to drag from job to job. I made a post several months back ~september timeframe where I was pissed about him hiring his old buddy.

Incidentally, the new position I'm interested in is at my current boss's old company (different division, though).

Yes, Shajen, this is the boss that crop dusted my office.

This is still in the early stages. Phone interviews went well, now I'm scheduling face-to-face stuff. I've never made a lateral move before. Seems kinda exciting, actually. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Background: the Vp who hired me retired last summer. Guy they brought in to replace him announced that he was going to create a Director level position within our group, and that he was "going outside the organization" to fill it. I'm the group manager, so this effectively stymied my advancement here. I've been with this firm for 4 years.

So I've interviewed for a couple of jobs, none of which was a decent fit - either too long a commute (I do 60 miles each way right now, about 90 minutes each way, which is the most I can tolerate), or uninteresting technology, or unappealing roles, etc.

So a recruiter contacted me and pitched a manager-level job at the largest firm in my field in Massachusetts. Even though it's a lateral move, it would be a little more money, a mere 13 miles from my house, and the technology is very cool. My staff would be smaller, with just 3 direct reports, but they will all be at the same site (currently I have people at three plants on the east coast).

I don't see how this is tough. A lateral move isn't bad at all. If your advancement is stymied where you currently are by new people coming in, how would a lateral move NOT be move up?
I do want to keep my career progressing, but this gig is attractive even though I wouldn't be getting any more stripes. So what's the OOT perspective on lateral moves? Good, bad, meh?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-31-2006, 01:12 PM

The way it's been described, it seems like all systems are go for the lateral move. Goodluck with whatever choice you make.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, Shajen, this is the boss that crop dusted my office.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement sways my vote even further. I'm outta there.

Crop-dusting someone in their own office is a blatant sign of disrespect and disregard. Might I recommend you drop a deuce in a ziplock bag and leave it partially open in a desk drawer in his office? Or, you could piss all over his chair seat late one evening before you move on.