Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 02:33 AM

Default Re: AP thread 872.6 - Statement ITT

Michaelson,

"This is a PR battle now, pure and simple, and one most people on the right side seem to have lost interest in fighting (which is entirely predictable: they don't have the resources or the incentives that AP does)."

Exactly. And many of the major players in the poker world who could take a vocal stand here have a vested interest in the whole "OK, nothing to see, move along!" charade.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:34 AM

NLfool: I see you have mentioned the BBJ several times. I have avoided speculating on the possibility that the BBJ was rigged because I have no evidence. I just wanted to mention, in case you missed it, this article that proclaims absolute Absolute Poker "the most lucrative place to play Bad Beat Jackpot": http://www.internet-poker.co.uk/Poker-Ne...ackpot~916.html

Like I say, I don't believe this is evidence of anything at all, but it is an article basically shilling for AP that makes vague claims linking two BBJ hits in quick succession to some amorphous idea that Absolute's jackpot is 'better', even though it's structure seems identical to Party's.

My point is not that it looks dodgy, it is most likely just clever marketing siezing on the two recent hits and crafting a fallacious argument that you're more likely to win the BBJ at AP and directing it at moron degenerate losers who don't understand gambling and probability. But, as long the BBJ keeps being brought up I thought it worth mentioning.

Apart from anything, whereas this time last month I would have laughed at suggestions that a major site might rig their BBJ there is no way I would just dismiss such a possibility in the wake of all this.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think that you should lay off ikestoys - he is quite reasonably interested in pursuing the most possible money in the future.

he is clearly aware that absolute poker is far riskier than it was three or four months ago.

he is clearly aware that there is a decent chance of a "run" on absolute's cash reserves.

he is clearly aware of the chance of being cheated in the future.

he is clearly aware that there is a lot of downside in playing at absolute.

given that, he doesn't think it is a good place to play. i'm not convinced that the skill level difference between the different sites is big enough to justify all this additional risk, but he believes it.

if you disagree with him, you're going to have to reconcile yourself to the fact that you're not likely to change his mind. that's certainly not the worst thing that's going to happen in any of our lives today.

[/ QUOTE ]

srsly, does anyone read what I write? Is there something wrong with the statement "I'm going to let all the facts come out before making a decision on where to play there. As the current situation stands, I'm not playing there." Is there something wrong with pointing out other players will be going back (I do talk to quite a few absolute regs obv)? I'm sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but I know of at least 2 2+2ers completely aware of the situation still playing at the site and a couple others who are planning to go back once this blows over. Theres no way a boycott will be effective. Just my honest opinion.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:43 AM

I read what you write. And I understand it too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Do I win a prize?

I also noted that while you are reserving judgment on if and when returning, h11 stated he would be playing there still, (unless I've made a mistake), and no one is jumping on him for it. It must be tough being you. Sorry dude, you have my sympathy.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
srsly, does anyone read what I write?

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm.. not really.

Ike, far more shocking than the numerous critical posts of you, is your apparent surprise. Dude, these threads have stirred up all of the illiterate retards on the internet, and sifted them into bbv. Just ignore it. Continuing to retaliate only causes more clutter.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3) a large chunk of the "value" of AP is in the value of their brand. their brand is obviously worth less today than it was several weeks ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think the true owners of AP, whoever they are, only recently became involved in this fiasco and are basing their calculations primarily on how their actions affect their brand from here on. I think we can influence the perception of that brand through big affiliates, forums and sites like CardPlayer and Bluff. That is one piece of leverage we have, albeit weak. But remember some major affiliates were already angry at AP before this happened so that helps.

The same logic applies to Kahnawake/KGC. The KGC licensing revenue depends entirely on the value of their brand. Last month, if you owned a poker site and decided not to pay the KGC protection money, people would ask "why don't you have a KGC seal, you must be crooks". Today you might retort "it's the KGC who are crooks and we refuse to degrade our own brand by associating with them."

The KGC still has most sites by the nuts though, since they will have you barred from the Montreal data center if you don't play ball license-wise.

-pyg
Old 10-22-2007, 02:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NLfool: I see you have mentioned the BBJ several times. I have avoided speculating on the possibility that the BBJ was rigged because I have no evidence. I just wanted to mention, in case you missed it, this article that proclaims absolute Absolute Poker "the most lucrative place to play Bad Beat Jackpot": http://www.internet-poker.co.uk/Poker-Ne...ackpot~916.html

Like I say, I don't believe this is evidence of anything at all, but it is an article basically shilling for AP that makes vague claims linking two BBJ hits in quick succession to some amorphous idea that Absolute's jackpot is 'better', even though it's structure seems identical to Party's.

My point is not that it looks dodgy, it is most likely just clever marketing siezing on the two recent hits and crafting a fallacious argument that you're more likely to win the BBJ at AP and directing it at moron degenerate losers who don't understand gambling and probability. But, as long the BBJ keeps being brought up I thought it worth mentioning.

Apart from anything, whereas this time last month I would have laughed at suggestions that a major site might rig their BBJ there is no way I would just dismiss such a possibility in the wake of all this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always thought the BBJ was a shame of sorts. There is no real way for the players to track this so stealing or skimming from the BBJ is 100% risk free lol. They just have to take someone's word that the X dollars that they put in is the X dollars that they get( - whatever % is advertised for administrative costs). Human nature tells me that if there is no way to be caught stealing "free" money someone is definitely going to be doing it.

Now I never thought the BBJ could be rigged to happen at a certain point but the timing of AP BBJ being hit is extremely coincidently and in light of the raffle news I am wondering if they rigged it so that an AP employee got s chuck of it (some guy with 25 posts came in and said he got a chuck of it). It just seems like if there is an opportunity to steal from the players the guys at AP jump at it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously I did a bad job of it.

I agree with Ikestoys.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm.. not really.

Ike, far more shocking than the numerous critical posts of you, is your apparent surprise. Dude, these threads have stirred up all of the illiterate retards on the internet, and sifted them into bbv. Just ignore it. Continuing to retaliate only causes more clutter.

[/ QUOTE ]

When josem misses what I'm saying, I reserve my right to be surprised.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:50 AM

Ike: I think you've made it pretty clear where you stand and most people understand your position. Where there's confusion it relates to the position you were advocating a few days ago which was somewhat different IIRC (when you were indicating that it wouldn't take much for AP to get you back). Some people do not seem to have cottoned on to the fact that your current point of view has changed somewhat, but I wouldn't stress too much about trying to exonerate yourself here: most of the people heaping scorn on you have been blow-ins to these threads, whereas those who have been following it through understand your position whether they agree with it or not.

Just my impression.
Closed Thread