Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2006, 02:48 PM

Default Intel Duo processor questions?

Thinking about getting a new labtop and had a few questions about duo and sole procs.

how does duo proc work? an equal amount of info is handled by each, or when one overloads it kicks it over to the other one?

When buying a new labtop, overall is it worth getting the duo processor?

Thanks
Mantooth
Old 05-04-2006, 09:42 PM

Default Re: Intel Duo processor questions?

From a practical standpoint, a system with an Intel Core Duo is a dual-processor PC.

The main benefit is that if one processor is tied up with something intensive (importing to PT for example) then the second is still available to respond to user input.

So even though most consumer applications are not (yet) multi-threaded to make intensive CPU processing (much) faster on a dual-processor machine, you will definitely perceive the system as being more "responsive" to your input, especially doing things that would make a single-processor system "sluggish."

IMO there really isn't a reason, other than a severe lack of $, to not get a dual-core laptop if you are in the market today.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO there really isn't a reason, other than a severe lack of $, to not get a dual-core laptop if you are in the market today.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point in time, if you are a hardcore gamer you will enjoy the benefits of a much faster single core CPU than two medium speed dual cores. In the not-so-distant future, this may not be the case.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:08 PM

ToeHold and T3485,

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At this point in time, if you are a hardcore gamer you will enjoy the benefits of a much faster single core CPU than two medium speed dual cores. In the not-so-distant future, this may not be the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

most review sites have said this is the fastest mobile processor available, i don't think they're "medium speed" cores
Old 05-05-2006, 10:25 PM

If I can expand on the question -- what is the expected speed gain to a duo core.

For example, would a laptop with a 1.66ghz duo core outperform a laptop with a 2.0ghz solo core (all other things being equal)?
Old 05-07-2006, 01:20 AM

I got my Dell Lattitude D820 with the Duo chip about two weeks ago and it is ridiculously fast compared to my pokey desktop. It makes a really nice poker computer. The only drawback with the Dell's (at least as of two weeks ago) was that they Duo cores didnt come in 17" screens. I'm not sure if they do now or not, but my 15" isnt too bad.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is no longer true. Now both processor manufacturers (AMD and Intel) are both extending and expanding their multi-core processors, and forgetting about single-core processors, making the dual-core processors the fastest they offer.

And believe me, a 2ghz multi-core processor can certainly be faster in a game than a 4ghz processor, because the 2ghz processor is 2-3 generations ahead. And while most applications are not written for multiple threads, multiple core and multi-processors systems will still be faster.

And talking about Intel Duo in particulary, the dual-core processor is not only faster than its single-core predecessor, it uses less power. Its a no brainer, if you a buying a laptop you should get the Intel Duo.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I can expand on the question -- what is the expected speed gain to a duo core.

For example, would a laptop with a 1.66ghz duo core outperform a laptop with a 2.0ghz solo core (all other things being equal)?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends, but probably yes. Just remember that Ghz is one measure of processor speed, it isn't the only one. And there are also other factors, such as the type of memory and speed of that bus.

For example, if you have a 2.0 Ghz processor with RAM running a 300 Mhz, and a 1.6 Ghz processor of the same type with the RAM running at 600 Mhz, the second computer is going to crush the first one in performance.

I know that the Intel Duo memory system is around twice as fast as the P4, but I don't know how much faster it is than the Pentium M. Either way it is certainly faster and another advantage of it.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got my Dell Lattitude D820 with the Duo chip about two weeks ago and it is ridiculously fast compared to my pokey desktop. It makes a really nice poker computer. The only drawback with the Dell's (at least as of two weeks ago)
was that they Duo cores didnt come in 17" screens. I'm not sure if they do now or not, but my 15" isnt too bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

HOw much overlap are you getting with your 15" screen?