Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 04:21 PM

Default stud8 big pairs

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 8: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (7.60 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises___calls

5th Street - (6.80 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (8.80 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

River - (10.80 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls $0.45 (all-in)
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises

Total pot: (14.60 BB - $7.30)

i wasn't sure what to make of his limp/re-raise on 3rd, i put him on a high pair in the hole as i couldn't see him raising with 3 cards to a 8 low. i wasn't sure whether i should give this up at some point, i decided to call on 5th street as i thought he had a high hand as he 3bet 4th so i could probably split if i make my low and my aces may even be good for the high. is this just too optimistic reasoning and should i got out?

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.20 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.80 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.90 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (8.90 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

River - (10.90 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___calls
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (12.90 BB - $6.45)

this hand is kinda similar i'm not sure what to do. i decided to bluff raise 5th in hopes of getting seat 2 (who i thought was going low) out so i could play heads up with the high hand and try and win the whole pot.

i got lucky in both hands to make trips late on in the hand, but should i be folding these unimproved big pairs early on?
Old 09-18-2007, 05:41 PM

Default Re: stud8 big pairs

In the first hand, you're ahead of everything but rolled-up eights on fifth, so jam the hell out of it.

The second hand is fine, although in a game with more clued players you might want to face Seat 2 with two bets cold on fourth.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:49 AM

I would have posted these in separate threads:

First hand: the limp/raise could mean rolled trips or three small spades. The latter could have other possibilities such as 876[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or 85A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. With two Nines and a Five out, he probably shouldn't raise the former, and the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] shows on fifth which eliminates the latter. Also, he could be clueless, which is pretty likely at this level. I'm not ready to give him credit for a huge hand yet.

The fact that he's willing to three-bet against your superior board on fourth does point to a big hand--rolled trips, the other two Aces. Either that or brain damage. I'm OK with calling and evaluating on fifth.

On fifth you've got Aces with a good low draw. The other guy could have trips, which leaves you about a 2:1 dog in equity. If he did start with two small spades in the hole, they almost have to be 64[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. You can account for all the other small spades except the Deuce, and he probably wouldn't have three-bet fourth with (6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], right? Anyway, against 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], you're a small dog. Against pretty much anything else, you're at least a small favorite. I think you pretty much have to be a favorite against his range. Raise at least once. I think the raise on the river is good, especially since he can't re-raise. When many players get almost all-in, they develop a "screw it" mentality.

Second hand: raise fourth to knock out the "inferior" low hand. Everything else looks good. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] seat 2.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The fact that he's willing to three-bet against your superior board on fourth does point to a big hand--rolled trips, the other two Aces. Either that or brain damage.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. raise raise raise raise jam jam jam 5th. you are so ahead of villain, he's an idiot. even if not, you have outs to chop and even scoop. it didnt matter in the end since he got all in, but our hand is very well disguised here and we 've got a big draw to the high and the low. don't stop. 6th street is where you slow down and re-evaluate