Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 10:49 PM

Default Poker on MBA Application

I will be applying to MBA programs in the next couple of months and wanted to get some advice on something I have been thinking about a lot.

First some background. I graduated from Georgia Tech in December of '05 with a degree in MGT and certificates in Finance and Econ (Overall GPA 3.2). I have taken the GMAT once, made a 710 cold, considering retaking it and studying some this time. I currently work for a prestigous consulting firm and will have 1 year of work experience on the app. I intend to apply to 5 or 6 schools including Wharton, Harvard, and Stanford. I will also have a couple safety schools.

Because I don't really have much which sets me appart from the bulk of the applicants at Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton, I was considering including my poker background. I would not include it for the safety schools.

Just so you guys are aware of what my poker background is: I have been playing for the last 5 years, 2.5 years online. I have been very successful in short handed limit games all the way up to 100/200. I have logged over 500k hands of 5/10+ with most of that in the 30/60 range and have an overall WR in these games of 1.8BB/100.

On the apps I would emphasize the math used in these games and include as much info as I thought was needed or relevant. So what do you guys think? Anyone have any inside info on this stuff? All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
JP
Old 08-08-2006, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Poker on MBA Application

I think the math you learned in undergrad is far more impressive and relevant than limit hold em math. (basically your application doesn't need help in the math area)

work for 2 more years, then apply

gl
Old 08-08-2006, 11:02 PM

OK say i am definitely going to apply this year and wouldn't necessarily have to emphasize the math. I could just use it as something that i dedicated myself to and became successful at. Include it in any form on the longer shot apps or no?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:11 PM

I don't think poker will help your application much, since it doesn't really involve teamwork or constitute "leadership skills" in any way. IMO MBA programs want to see those type of "soft skills" on your application. The math involved won't really help you - based on your degree and GMAT scores/consulting experience, that's probably enough proof that you can handle the math part of an MBA. That said, I don't really think it will hurt you app much, but your real problem is that you only have one year of work experience, and unless you have some other stuff that's amazing about you as far as leadership ability/experience, you will be pretty green compared to the majority of H/S/W admits.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your real problem is that you only have one year of work experience, and unless you have some other stuff that's amazing about you as far as leadership ability/experience, you will be pretty green compared to the majority of H/S/W admits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am aware that this is my main problem but to be honest, making the kind of $ i am making now makes it very difficult to continue working a job which prob cuts my total earnings by a couple hundred thousand/year.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I will be applying to MBA programs in the next couple of months and wanted to get some advice on something I have been thinking about a lot.

First some background. I graduated from Georgia Tech in December of '05 with a degree in MGT and certificates in Finance and Econ (Overall GPA 3.2). I have taken the GMAT once, made a 710 cold, considering retaking it and studying some this time. I currently work for a prestigous consulting firm and will have 1 year of work experience on the app. I intend to apply to 5 or 6 schools including Wharton, Harvard, and Stanford. I will also have a couple safety schools.

Because I don't really have much which sets me appart from the bulk of the applicants at Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton, I was considering including my poker background. I would not include it for the safety schools.

Just so you guys are aware of what my poker background is: I have been playing for the last 5 years, 2.5 years online. I have been very successful in short handed limit games all the way up to 100/200. I have logged over 500k hands of 5/10+ with most of that in the 30/60 range and have an overall WR in these games of 1.8BB/100.

On the apps I would emphasize the math used in these games and include as much info as I thought was needed or relevant. So what do you guys think? Anyone have any inside info on this stuff? All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
JP

[/ QUOTE ]

My advice is just don't do it. There is to big a risk that someone will lable you a pathological gambler.

When someone knows you better, you can talk about how much poer has helped you blah, blah, blah. But for a first impression, it is too big of a risk that it will cause a negative first impression.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
your real problem is that you only have one year of work experience, and unless you have some other stuff that's amazing about you as far as leadership ability/experience, you will be pretty green compared to the majority of H/S/W admits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am aware that this is my main problem but to be honest, making the kind of $ i am making now makes it very difficult to continue working a job which prob cuts my total earnings by a couple hundred thousand/year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, depending on your "story," essay writing skills, etc., you should be able to get into a really good b-school, but I think you have to be realistic about your chances of getting into top 3 with only one year work exp. I mean, if you ended up at Duke or Virginia, it's not like you wouldn't be able to get a really good job out of there.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, depending on your "story," essay writing skills, etc., you should be able to get into a really good b-school, but I think you have to be realistic about your chances of getting into top 3 with only one year work exp. I mean, if you ended up at Duke or Virginia, it's not like you wouldn't be able to get a really good job out of there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree and appreciate your input. I would love to go to Darden but the avg. work experience there is almost 6 years. I am still going to at least take a shot at the H/W/S and hope for the best. I will probably also apply to Emory, GT(safety), and either UVA, UNC, or Duke.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:29 AM

if you have 100/200 limit cracked, why not play poker?
I would say leave it off the resume until you're sure that employers wont look down upon poker.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:59 AM

I think refering to poker on an application is probably -EV. There is still just too much stigma attached to it and I think you'd come across badly. I think it would seem like you were trying to defend or justify a vice as a hobby.....

"I have developed excellent interpersonal skills through time served propping up numerous city-centre bars"

If you go to an interview, then depending upon your read of the interviewer(s) you could discuss poker in more detail in the context of your broader interests or hobbies, and outline the progression in your 'career' over the last 5 years.

I know many financial traders would look upon successful poker players as potentially successful investors as the two occupations share a lot in common (if you haven't read this already, it's pretty interesting), but I don't think those ideas would stretch to academic types.

Good luck with your app.