Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Who here finished college in 4 years?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the jock classes still require you to do work to get the A. normal classes require you to do work to get a B. it's the Cs that are easy here. so yes, i guess if you just want to have a 2.0 GPA, then college could be easy. i don't think most people are going for a 2.0, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

D's get degrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, they don't.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:50 PM

it obviously depends where you go.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
at ohio state almost every major is at least 5 years minimum

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, seriously?

I would love to stay for 5 years (and I might anyway, 4+1 masters ftw) but it really is not hard to graduate in 4. Especially if you come in with any AP credits whatsoever and make doubly sure to check for courses that fill more than one requirement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I graduated in 4 years in chemistry from tosu. I think the only 5 year bs majors at ohio state are in engineering, where you are supposed to do a 6 month internship. Most of my friends took longer than 4 years, but that was due to beer drinking and switching majors...
Old 10-22-2007, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
college was not difficult. sure if you want A's you probably have to try. but trying is for losers amirite?

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm going to have to disagree with this. i think college is very hard for most people, unless you didn't try in high school and/or chose to go to a school that's beneath your ability. high school was an absolute joke for me - i studied maybe 10 hours total in 4 years and had a 4.6 gpa. but i bust my ass in college, and there are virtually no classes where i can get away without studying and going to class. even the "jock" classes here still require that you put in some work if you want the A.

[/ QUOTE ]
wasn't the point of what he said if you dont care about getting an A, just passing?

[/ QUOTE ]
the jock classes still require you to do work to get the A. normal classes require you to do work to get a B. it's the Cs that are easy here. so yes, i guess if you just want to have a 2.0 GPA, then college could be easy. i don't think most people are going for a 2.0, though.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have tons of scholarship monies that I only get if my GPA is >3.5, and while it's super annoying sometimes, I have to admit that it's a good thing because it motivates me to put some effort in. I know I wouldn't otherwise.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:37 PM

I graduated in 4 years with two degrees...a degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering and minor in Mathematics. I played football for 2 years and baseball all 4 years. I partied my ass off, my grades weren't amazing (~3.0), but I got through it.

I still don't understand how most people can't get out in 4 years.

It is all about people being lazy...
Old 10-22-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I graduated in 4 years with two degrees...a degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering and minor in Mathematics. I played football for 2 years and baseball all 4 years. I partied my ass off, my grades weren't amazing (~3.0), but I got through it.

I still don't understand how most people can't get out in 4 years.

It is all about people being lazy...

[/ QUOTE ]

where do you go/how hard is it to fulfil all those classes, cause that combination of degrees sounds really cool and im already applying EE
Old 10-22-2007, 11:31 PM

from his location, i'd guess washington university in st. louis...
Old 10-22-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
college was not difficult. sure if you want A's you probably have to try. but trying is for losers amirite?

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm going to have to disagree with this. i think college is very hard for most people, unless you didn't try in high school and/or chose to go to a school that's beneath your ability. high school was an absolute joke for me - i studied maybe 10 hours total in 4 years and had a 4.6 gpa. but i bust my ass in college, and there are virtually no classes where i can get away without studying and going to class. even the "jock" classes here still require that you put in some work if you want the A.

[/ QUOTE ]
wasn't the point of what he said if you dont care about getting an A, just passing?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting a 3.0 is pretty sick easy. I attend maybe 50% of my classes and am going to make a 3.0. I rarely do any work and never study more than a night in advance. Assuming you got into your school on merit (and not purely based on connections/legacy/athletics) then you are more than able to fulfill the course requirements. I also did jack [censored] in high school, but nothing has really changed other than the As in high school becoming Bs in college.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:06 AM

electrical engineering and computer engineering have a lot of overlap, so it doesn't require a lot of extra effort to get dual degrees.

edit: http://www.ece.vt.edu/ugrad/curriculum/index.html
Old 10-23-2007, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting a 3.0 is pretty sick easy. I attend maybe 50% of my classes and am going to make a 3.0. I rarely do any work and never study more than a night in advance. Assuming you got into your school on merit (and not purely based on connections/legacy/athletics) then you are more than able to fulfill the course requirements. I also did jack [censored] in high school, but nothing has really changed other than the As in high school becoming Bs in college.

[/ QUOTE ]
okay, i don't really want to type this out because i'll probably be called a douchebag or whatnot, but maybe this is why having a degree from a "top" school means so much in certain majors.

i'm at stanford, and i can assure you i am here on merit. but i could not go to 1/2 my classes and not study and get a 3.0. i'm mechanical engineering, if that makes any difference. but yeah, maybe that's why such respect is given to engineering degrees from top schools, because we actually have to work super hard for those degrees.

if you are indeed going to a top school and doing a techie major, then i applaud you. you would probably be smarter than me in that case.