Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 10:28 AM

Default I like Americans

Americans are getting a global kicking these days from all sorts, but I have to say I like Americans.

I've only been to America once, but I used to live in London and met quite a few American tourists/travellers. Generally I've found Americans warm, friendly, polite and direct. Whilst in America, I didn't meet a single American I didn't like talking to, and I talked to quite a few - at poker tables, at shows, queueing and sightseeing.

I had a terrific time over there, not least because I got to meet and talk to a whole set of strangers of all ages who were open and friendly, and were happy to tell about themselves and hear about me. It was very cool.

In addition, I do think there is a special empathy between American and British people. Britain used to take all-comers and is a mongrel race, and America has been the same, and the distinctiveness of both countries is cultural, not racial or even religious. You can have any coloured-face and call yourself British or American without issue or it being a little jarring.

Also I think that the American and English people have parallel and similar traditions - we believe in hard work to get somewhere (embodied in the 'American Dream' no less), we believe in doing the right thing no matter what trouble it places us in (remember it was the British that first declared war on the Nazis while many stood by, even though we were ill-prepared - and yes, I know this quest for justice has lead down to some sad, dark paths), we believe in democracy and we give a good account of ourselves under pressure, I'd like to think, and we believe in personal freedom.

I don't know where I'm going with this, so I'll open this up. Are there any people from specific countries you especially like? Let's keep it postive, eh?
Old 08-21-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Re: I like Americans

I like canadiens, I grew up in Michigan and I am moving back there in a couple days. Windsor is a 2 hour drive for me, and is always a fun time. Before I turned 21 me and a bunch of my friends would drive to Windsor atleast once a month to indulge in legal drinking, hit up the bars, and talk to sexy canadien girls. People were always so pleasant and calm, but dont let that fool u, they can party pretty well.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've only been to America once, but I used to live in London and met quite a few American tourists/travellers. Generally I've found Americans warm, friendly, polite and direct. Whilst in America, I didn't meet a single American I didn't like talking to, and I talked to quite a few - at poker tables, at shows, queueing and sightseeing.

I had a terrific time over there, not least because I got to meet and talk to a whole set of strangers of all ages who were open and friendly, and were happy to tell about themselves and hear about me. It was very cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really glad you said this, DB. I happen to think Americans are pretty friendly too, even though I worry that we don't come across that way on message boards [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

When I first moved to Ohio I was struck by how outgoing and friendly everyone was. Even the really conservative old people were extremely polite. I thought damn, Americans are pretty nice (yeah, I'm an American but what the hell, that's what I thought). Americans get a bum rap. I've lived all over the U.S. and can say I am really impressed with how friendly and helpful most Americans are. (Actually, come to think of it, the least friendly state I've been in has been Hawaii - a state which I love, btw.)

I'm glad you thought the Americans you met in London were nice. Sometimes we hear that Europeans don't like us because we are arrogant and loud.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:44 PM

Of course, Americans and the Brits have a special connection...we're like cousins who grew up in different households. I've always liked you Limey bastards. You're probably the toughest group of people in the world and I respect that.

Other nationalities I have a special affinity for?

Italians are just nuts. So friendly and passionate and willing to help a stranger in a pinch. I also like Australians a lot. Japanese and Norwegians are also high on my list.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:23 PM

I've met too many nice Japanese and Chinese(grew up with them in Guam and Hawaii) for me to think it's coincidence how cool they often are. I think it harkens back to the shared Confucian value system. Of course, they can also be very exclusive, and slow to really accept people on more than a surface level.

I've also found people from the Midwest in America are often extremely nice. Except for people from Detroit, person after person I have met from Michigan and Wisconsin and the like have been very friendly.

I've also found Germans and Italians to be often quite nice, and sometimes the British too. I've been kind of turned off by a number of the French, Spanish, Czechs, and Persians I've met; I've only met the latter in any volume.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:27 PM

I like Brazilian women.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:19 PM

I am (not really) surprised at how people react when I tell them I a from Ohio. They always say, "I'll definitely like you."

They ask me what it was like growing up there, and I tell them that all the nice people leave. It's not true. Many people have told me that they lived there for three months, found a job in less than a week, crashed with a co-worker, and partied to the break of dawn, although the bars close at 2 am.

What I do miss there is that there are no fences, all the neighbors are friends, and if you have a pretty girl with you, the clerk will compliment you.

But, I never want to see snow again, so I will never move back.

I love foreigners. The English that I have met have all been very kind, supplied with a self-depreciating humor. In fact, I have a pen pal that I have been writing with for years. I hope to see her move out here one day. Lithuanians and Turkish girls tend to be very "fun."

The only country I have an over-all problem with is Russians. I remember staying in a hostel. They never showered, stole, and talked bad to our face. I was studying the Russian language at the time. Because of these people, I quit learning. It took a few months for me to realize that there were some nice ones, but they were leaving already.

One of my best friends is Russian.

Brazilian girls are wonderful over-all, but a little to loose for my tastes.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:52 PM

Surprisingly, I also like the French. They've always been great to me, for some reason.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:02 PM

I also like yanks for the reasons DB stated.

Also I like your junk food. I wish we had Taco Bell and Wendy's
Old 08-21-2007, 04:39 PM

The kids and I were at the city wall in Xi'an China. We hailed a taxi and after picking us up I hand over the hotel card so he knows where to take us. The driver turns to me and says, "I like Americans."

He then pulls to the side of the street to call the hotel and confirm where we're going. Meanwhile, a lone guy standing on the sidewalk sees us in the cab and sends out a simple, "Hey."

On the Great Wall, we were stopped by random strangers asking us to have their pictures taken with us.

Who wouldn't love moments like these?

After the first few days in China, I turned to my teenage son and asked him what surprised him the most. His reply was, "How nice the people are."