Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 06:22 AM

Default Tough spot 50NL vs 2p2er, deep

The power brick for my laptop died so I played this in an internet cafe so no stats available. This hand is from memory.

Villain had mentioned 2+2 in the chat a few minutes earlier and I nicely asked him to refrain from mentioning 2+2 to outsiders. So he knew that I knew that he was a 2+2er. I didn't have any real reads on him but he seemed like a solid and aggressive player. I'd been tagish, maybe slightly more aggro than average. I have about $115 (230 bb) and he has me covered.

Hero is in bb with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Folded to button who minraises to $1, sb (villain) calls, hero raises to $4, button folds, villain calls.
<font color="blue"> I put villain on some kind of drawing hand like Axs, a pocket pair or suited connecters. I assume he's smart enough to fold hands like QJ, especially out of position. </font>
Flop ($9) A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain checks, hero bets $7, villain calls.
<font color="blue"> Yay, I'm way ahead or way behind against a good player with deep stacks. Villain could have an ace, a flush draw, a pp, or complete air </font>

Turn ($25) T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain checks, hero checks.
<font color="blue"> Well his flush draw may have just gotten there. I check behind for the following reasons:
*I want to keep the pot small if he has trips or a flush
*I want him to bluff or bet a worse hand than mine on the river.
*I have no idea what I would do if he check-raised me. I think he could do it with air or a weak hand.
I decide to call up to a pot sized bet on the river.</font>

River ($25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain checks, hero checks.

<font color="blue"> I feel like I missed a lot of value in this hand. This was towards the end of my session when I wasn't concentrating fully and I think the stack sizes and knowledge he was a 2+2er psyched me out. Thoughts? </font>
Old 10-30-2007, 06:27 AM

Default Re: Tough spot 50NL vs 2p2er, deep

Definatley check the flop. betting here is bad. Once you are called, definately time to shut down.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 AM

I don't see a value bet here, the only hands calling that you beat are some pocket pairs (99,77,66). You'' have to fold to a big check/raise as well, so I just check behind.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Definatley check the flop. betting here is bad. Once you are called, definately time to shut down.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make any sense to me. We should be getting looked up by a lot of pp's and fd's here. I'm betting the flop for value.

Turn check I like. Mostly for reasons OP stated.

River I'm betting. Too often villain is showing up with a middle pair here that we can get another bet from.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:56 AM

I agree with woohoo. There are so many worse hands that will call on the flop (99-QQ), so I think it's definitely a value bet. Turn check is good. Flushdraw got there. Once he checks the river you can be sure he is hoping for a cheap showdown. No way a 2+2'er checks his flush or top trips or full house here. And he may call with QQ-JJ.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:07 AM

If you bet the flop, are you getting three streets of value out of him?
If not, why are you betting flop?
My standard line in 3-bet pots here is to check flop and bet turn+river because you're almost never getting three streets of value from worse hands (except maybe QQ), and checking flop allows villain to hang himself with some of his more marginal hands as well as not allowing him to raise you out of the pot (which good villains will try to do).

River is a valuebet, though. Villain never shows up with an A, set or flush there, and you beat everything else.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Definatley bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

value from pps, protection etc.

turn i like a check, river i'd bet for value.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Once he checks the river you can be sure he is hoping for a cheap showdown. No way a 2+2'er checks his flush or top trips or full house here.

[/ QUOTE ] This is a really good point.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:01 AM
 is offline

I bet 16$ on river for value and fold to a raise.