Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Fasting

I think aside from the health risks, this would destroy your metabolism...
Old 08-15-2007, 06:43 PM

I am one of the few here who believe fasting has many physical benefits. Of course, last time I stated my views, and linked to some research on the subject, I pretty much was run out of this forum. So, I will keep my views to myself, but good luck with it and I hope it goes well.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am one of the few here who believe fasting has many physical benefits. Of course, last time I stated my views, and linked to some research on the subject, I pretty much was run out of this forum. So, I will keep my views to myself, but good luck with it and I hope it goes well.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is because it is completely ridiculous. Like you can find "research" about the benefit of a vegan diet.

And IIRC you at the end of the argument stated you didn't actually believe it, but were playing devil's advocate, no?
Old 08-15-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was in this thread:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rt=all&vc=1

and the fasting stuff was about 6 posts in-- and includes a reference to an earlier discussion about fasting:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...age=0&vc=1
Old 08-15-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is because it is completely ridiculous. Like you can find "research" about the benefit of a vegan diet.

And IIRC you at the end of the argument stated you didn't actually believe it, but were playing devil's advocate, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

It has always been more a problem of adherence, not belief, for me. I believe there is much I could be doing to live a more healthy life. Doing some of these things, on the other hand, is quite a different story.

Just a personal story on fasting, and this is just my personal experience, it's not meant to offend anyone.

Anyway, five or so years ago I was living in New Mexico and the dust there caused my asthma to be the worst it had ever been in my life. I was using an inhaler like 4-6 times a day for months and just feeling absolutly horrible. So, this is where my intro to fasting came in. On advice from somebody that I figured knew better than me, I fasted for 3 days. And, alas, that was the end of my asthma problems for a long time (I didn't use an inhaler again for more than a year). I have also had success with other problems via fasting in the years since then.

So, I guess everyone just needs to decide for themselves what "research" they should, or shouldn't trust. But for me, and I assume many, many others with similar stories, the personal experience is all the research we need.

Ha, there I go again...was trying to keep my opinions to myself, but this thread really did need at least a little opposition to the decidedly negative responses.

OP, you should be very careful though if you are using fasting for the sole purpose of losing weight. That would seem to be a slippery slope toward a very unhealthy life style. I would think weight-loss would be more a side effect of fasting than a goal of it.