Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Fasting

[ QUOTE ]
When I wrestled in HS I probably ate 500 or less calories per day for days at a time. I wasn't very strong at the end of the season, but I was in phenomenal cardiovascular shape and weighed the least I ever have in my adult life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, everytime I talk to a friend that wrestled in highschool I ask myself wtf were their coaches thinking. These kids are lucky enough to be talented and involved in a sport that can make them great allround athletes, and their coaches go and ruin it by forcing them into starvation to stay in a weight class. Newsflash: if you are 15 you're going to be gaining weight cause you're [censored] growing. jesus christ.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:57 AM

fasting is bad because your body eats away at your muscle first, making you flabbier

also, your body "learns" to survive on less and less calories, which is why after 3 days you feel clear to go on forever, your body has changed

when you eat again, your body turns the food into fat asap, so it can continue to sustain

eat a lot of fruits/veggies, drink 120 ounces of water a day, and stick to white meats. you'll stay strong and look leaner, rather than flabbier
Old 08-14-2007, 04:53 AM

thats because after those 3 days your body will stop using amino acids from your muscle as energy, and start using ketons from bodyfat.
dont overendulge in fruits, they're nature's suger
Old 08-14-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm planning to get onto a fairly extreme diet by going on a week's fast. I drink plenty of juice though, probably about a litre a day, and some squash, so I get quite a few calories.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this? How is this not feeding yourself anyways?

Your body will just use the carbs in the juice as energy.

This is just a liquid diet and a bad one at that without any protein or healthy fats [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2007, 12:59 PM

i really enjoy fasting.

i fast for about 3 or 4 hours between meals and then about 7 to 9 hours when i go to bed. this is fasting at its best and healthiest. if anyone wants any tips on my daily fasting routine let me know. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] J.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I wrestled in HS I probably ate 500 or less calories per day for days at a time. I wasn't very strong at the end of the season, but I was in phenomenal cardiovascular shape and weighed the least I ever have in my adult life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, everytime I talk to a friend that wrestled in highschool I ask myself wtf were their coaches thinking. These kids are lucky enough to be talented and involved in a sport that can make them great allround athletes, and their coaches go and ruin it by forcing them into starvation to stay in a weight class. Newsflash: if you are 15 you're going to be gaining weight cause you're [censored] growing. jesus christ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew plenty of wrestlers in HS & college who dropped weight to stay in a specific weight classes. Never knew any who were "ruined" by the experience. None of them 'fasted' either, they ate healthy foods, just not nearly as much as they normally would; and they exercised like crazy (usually running). Also, none of them were forced to do it, but were asked/encouraged by the coach. If the team didn't have someone to compete in a weight class, the team would forfeit the match for that weight class during the meet thus limiting their chances of winning the meet. Coach's job is to make sure he has someone to compete in each weight class, that is likely what the coach was thinking.

I don't condone fasting. I have read some crazy stories of people who have fasted (some up to 30 or 40 days) and wound up dying as a result. Although they did lose weight that was not the reason they did it. They did it because they felt it purged their mind, body and soul.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:25 PM

east,

Yeah, and it likely effed up their health.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Coach's job is to make sure he has someone to compete in each weight class, that is likely what the coach was thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to derail the thread, but this is completely [censored] wrong.

In High School a coach's main job is not to win meets.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Coach's job is to make sure he has someone to compete in each weight class, that is likely what the coach was thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to derail the thread, but this is completely [censored] wrong.

In High School a coach's main job is not to win meets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't say it was his 'main' job...but it is most definitely part of the job.

People trying out for the wrestling team were weighed and then given a choice as to which weight class they could be in. If there were two or more going for one weight class, they could compete for it (unless the coach went with seniority); winner gets the start and the the other guy is a backup. If there was an open class, then somebody could either gain or lose weight to be in that weight class.

I never heard of anyone being forced to lose weight to be in a weight class, it was always pretty much voluntary on the part of the wrestler; though some coaches would try to encourage their athletes to drop weight to be in a class so that the team could be more competitive overall (these were very competitive teams). I never heard of any wrestler 'fasting' (i.e. not eating anything at all for days). They went on strict diets, but would still eat. And I never saw any of them 'ruined'...they were always in phenominal shape.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:02 AM

Fasting is retarded.

Google "Protein Sparing Modified Fast" if you want to put yourself through some torture.