Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Biggest Golf Pet Peeve

[ QUOTE ]
–verb (used without object)
3. to play golf.

source: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=golf

How about When those water coolers are not water coolers but "hot air bags." How hard is it to fill them with water when you charge so much to play?

Not replacing divots anywhere. Sure sometimes they are 30 yards away, but why did you go golfing today?

Those stupid limiters, when on carts they are set at like 12 mph. Why do you think it takes so long to get around the course? I'd rather sign a liability waiver or indemnification of some kind if I can go 30 and take my chances to get around in an hour less. I've played 18 in two hours no problem at the courses that are not too crowded and don't limit their cart speeds.

[/ QUOTE ]
Carts without limiters can go dangerously fast. It would be retarded for a course to let people zip around at 30 mph. Exhibit A

I've played in less than 2 hours walking.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:53 PM

Just because it's in the dictionary does not mean I agree with its usage. It just sounds amateur.

When I hear someone say "I golf" i think of a hacker who has no idea what they're doing and riding around in a cart because they're too fat and lazy to walk.
When someone says "I play golf" I think of a beautiful, fluid swing, drawing it down the middle of the fairway, slinging your own clubs over your bag and playing the game the way it was meant to be played.

But that's just me and many others, I guess [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2007, 04:28 PM

OK, I think I have a new one that has skyrocketed to #1 for me.

GODDAMN CART PATHS!!!!!!!

The local muni that I play on (decent shape, fairly cheap) feels the need to make a nonstop cart path around the entire course. The biggest problem with this is that in most spots it is <10 yards off the fairway. Today, I sliced a ball a little bit, ok, it should settle down into the rough.

Nope, BINK! Hits Cart path, bounces 30 feet in the air and out of bounds. I scuffed up 2 more Pro-Vs today and had one bounce off of the cart path into a ditch. I'm so fed up with it that I'm willing to pay much more to play at a decent course rather than play cart path lottery with every ball that misses the fairway.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because it's in the dictionary does not mean I agree with its usage. It just sounds amateur.

When I hear someone say "I golf" i think of a hacker who has no idea what they're doing and riding around in a cart because they're too fat and lazy to walk.
When someone says "I play golf" I think of a beautiful, fluid swing, drawing it down the middle of the fairway, slinging your own clubs over your bag and playing the game the way it was meant to be played.

But that's just me and many others, I guess [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I always have and always will use it as a verb, I don't really care if its *proper* usage or not. In fact, if it puts my fellow golfers on life tilt, all the better.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:34 PM

My biggest pet peeve is seeing 10 cars in the parking lot but getting stuck behind foursomes all day.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about When those water coolers are not water coolers but "hot air bags." How hard is it to fill them with water when you charge so much to play?

[/ QUOTE ]
Speaking of water coolers...
Up here in New England, we had a few issues in the last year or two with golfers getting sick due to courses not cheaning out the coolers.
The result of all this has been the most annoying invention ever to hit the links:

It's this cooler with a dumb filter thing on it that you need to pump 300 times to get a little dixie cup half filled with water.

Friggin makes me insane just thinking about it....
Old 07-12-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Up here in New England, we had a few issues in the last year or two with golfers getting sick due to courses not cheaning out the coolers.
The result of all this has been the most annoying invention ever to hit the links:

It's this cooler with a dumb filter thing on it that you need to pump 300 times to get a little dixie cup half filled with water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good idea if it didn't require 300 pumps.

But then again, what would you rather do--pump the nozzle 300 times to get your water, or die of chemical poisoning? Yeah, I thought so.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:19 PM

Here's one: playing with someone who is bad enough where they hit such bad shots that they are still away. Like you just hit a nice drive, have 120 yards left to the green - guy with you is 200 yards out - and tops one 50 yards and it's still his turn. Uuggh.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good idea if it didn't require 300 pumps.

But then again, what would you rather do--pump the nozzle 300 times to get your water, or die of chemical poisoning? Yeah, I thought so.

[/ QUOTE ]
These things are terrible. They put them on the course I used to work at for a while and they're even worse than you could imagine. I've drank probably something like 100 gallons of water out of these coolers and as far as I know it's never made me sick. I'm willing to keep taking that chance rather than have to jerk off a water cooler to get a drink.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL When I first moved out here some jackass I was playing with told me they had to put them on after 9/11 for fear that the terrorists would poison the golf course water.

Anyway, I think the problem is the pumps aren't designed well and they get worn out in a couple days. Occasionally I'll use one of those and it will work effectively, but it's like 1 out of 10 times.