Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2006, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Three Years in Las Vegas

Good read. All the best.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:47 AM

Dynasty,

Sorry to hear about the downswing. Keep your head up. I'm pulling for you.

Matt
Old 06-06-2006, 10:31 AM

dynasty i hear it's possible to make thousands a day playing 10/20 NL and i believe it. even at 1/2 making just $10 an hour in some ways that's not a bad wage. don't worry with solid play you will at the very least keep your head above water and soon will start pulling in serious money.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dynasty i hear it's possible to make thousands a day playing 10/20 NL and i believe it. even at 1/2 making just $10 an hour in some ways that's not a bad wage. don't worry with solid play you will at the very least keep your head above water and soon will start pulling in serious money.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sure you can make a lot more than $10/hr at live 1/2
Old 06-06-2006, 01:38 PM

First law of nature: adapt or die.

Thanks for the update. Makes my current downswing not feel so bad (plus, its just a hobby for me anyway).
Old 06-06-2006, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great Post.

When you say the limit games were "bad", you mean that they just full of sharks/experts and basically are examples of Pirahna's eating themselves?

BTW most of the NL games in Vegas that I have watched are a complete joke. I would imagine you are killing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, nobody answered your question. It's possible to be in a good limit game and know for a fact that you're easily +EV. While you still may lose, you won't lose without taking horrendous, obvious bad beats. It's easy to sleep at night when this happens.

My understanding is that that's the way the games were a couple of years ago. Now, there are still players who aren't so good, but the mistakes they make are less obvious than "playing any two", and thus the games are a little swingier and if it's a game that you can beat but not kill, downswings may result from less provable things, you miss too many flops or your opponents may miss too few, for example. So downswings are a little more deep and painful.

In short, there are still "fish" at the table but they're not as bad. I think if you are good enough you can still kill lots of the games he talks about.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:09 PM

Well, you and I have had our differences, and I must say I'm surprised at the 5th year news, as I was under the impression you are a top-notch limit player, but hopefully you can gain something positive from the experience, learn from your mistakes, and possibly have some introspection into your overall state of mind. We all have changes we need to make, and I am constantly striving towards making them. Hopefully you will too.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as I was under the impression you are a top-notch limit player,

[/ QUOTE ]

Your impression has changed?

I see a big part of his bad run was losing a good portion of his roll due to non-poker related events. Even great players will be psychologically affected by that sudden turn of events. Not sure what that has to do with being a top notch limit player.

b
Old 06-06-2006, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
as I was under the impression you are a top-notch limit player,

[/ QUOTE ]

Your impression has changed?

I see a big part of his bad run was losing a good portion of his roll due to non-poker related events. Even great players will be psychologically affected by that sudden turn of events. Not sure what that has to do with being a top notch limit player.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, his roll appears pretty low for a top-notch player, and at stakes where he can't make all that much $$$ live, which brings me to why is he playing live for a living when online is so much more profitable? I thought he was playing 40-80+ for some reason.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:09 PM

no hating here...I just want to confirm this timeline...b/c this is some very depressing $hit...

at the end of your first year you were consitently beating 10/20 stud and 20/40 LHE...and as you said occasionally taking shots at 40/80

now at the end of 5 years you are playing 1/2NL at Caesars???

and as far as LHE goes, the bellagio is packed every night of the week with 20-40 to 40-80 games

did you just not want to play LHE anymore or did you run bad for a while ?