Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 07:55 PM

Default \"[censored], Your Honor\"

<u>Statement of Facts</u>
Today I'm at my desk drafting a motion for summary judgment. This where you try to win your lawsuit without a trial, because there is no real issue and a trial would be a big waste. So I'm using a motion from a similar case I had, tweaking it to fit the current case. The earlier case was against some guy, but the new case is against a corporation. So I have to change every "his" to "its". I do "replace all" in MS word and make 38 replacements. I keep working and I come across the word "t_ts" in my brief in support. How did that get there? Hey, there it is again! Then it dawns on me. In addition to changing "his" to "its", the program went ahead and changed every "this" to "t_ts" just for fun. Glad I caught that before sending to the judge for approval.

<u>Conclusion</u>
Proofread important stuff before submitting to court or Bill Gates might screw you.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: \"[censored], Your Honor\"

I like to do my finds and replaces with spaces in the find/replace strings. e.g., " his " with " its "

that way you don't get [censored] or itstory or whatever.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the tip, I will use spaces from now on.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:45 PM

Word also has a check box under the Search Options labeled "Find whole words only". (You need to click on "More" to find the option). Check that and you'll be fine.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:57 PM

User error corrected by user intervention. Move along.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<u>Statement of Facts</u>
Today I'm at my desk drafting a motion for summary judgment. This where you try to win your lawsuit without a trial, because there is no real issue and a trial would be a big waste. So I'm using a motion from a similar case I had, tweaking it to fit the current case. The earlier case was against some guy, but the new case is against a corporation. So I have to change every "his" to "its". I do "replace all" in MS word and make 38 replacements. I keep working and I come across the word "t_ts" in my brief in support. How did that get there? Hey, there it is again! Then it dawns on me. In addition to changing "his" to "its", the program went ahead and changed every "this" to "t_ts" just for fun. Glad I caught that before sending to the judge for approval.

<u>Conclusion</u>
Proofread important stuff before submitting to court or Bill Gates might screw you.

[/ QUOTE ]