Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Were you going to pay the $10 for live stats on Yahoo?
Yes, what fun is it without live stats? 18 66.67%
No, I'll just check in Monday and see if I won or lost 7 25.93%
I'm not sure. 2 7.41%
Just show me the results / I'm not in the league 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Re: ~~~ OFFICIAL YANKEES 2007 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS OR BUST THREAD ~~

[ QUOTE ]
it's time for seattle to start losing... how do they have 3 games in hand on us anyways

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of snow in Cleveland during the first week of the season (where Seattle was supposed to open). Don't ask me why you would open baseball in an uncovered stadium in Cleveland in the first week in April... they have at least two Cleveland make ups left. (I think one of them was moved from Cleveland to Seattle.)
Old 08-20-2007, 01:20 PM

I would be so pleased if the Yankees come out of the Angels series still 4 games back looking at the schedule after the Angels and another Detroit series it doesn't look too
Old 08-20-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be so pleased if the Yankees come out of the Angels series still 4 games back looking at the schedule after the Angels and another Detroit series it doesn't look too

[/ QUOTE ]

Being 4 games back going into the Sox series would be a coup for you guys. It tilts me just thinking about it. God, just have a [censored] August/September for once, huh?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:52 PM

Got Section 39 bleacher seats from stubhub this weekend for the Tuesday night Boston game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also going the next night too.

gogogo
Old 08-20-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's Joba time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Casual Yanks fan here. Joba, who just had a sick inning, is being groomed as a starter right?

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what they say. His future is as a starter... Mariano was a starter too (not that the situation is the same).

[/ QUOTE ]
IIRC, next year he will go back to a starter. I mean things can change, I'm not even sure where I'd want him to be bullpen or rotation.

I would wait to see what happens with the bullpen, if a guy like Edwar can solidifiy a role along with a few other pieces he might be best off as a starter, but if he can be Mo's successor then I'd be fine with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the decision with Joba pretty depends 100% on how good his #3 and #4 pitches develop to be b.c. fastball-slider is obviously optimal for a closer, but "deception" is more crucial than raw speed/power/nastiness for a starter. Deception is either achieved through 3+ equally good pitches, or "mechanical tricks" such as Randy Johnson's height / sidearm / release point, etc. The SPs who become top-class through the latter category usually get beat up pretty bad in their first few seasons before they become dominant (Santana, Johnson, etc.)

Question: What calibre stats / success would Rivera have given his pitch profile if he were exclusively a starter the past 15 years? I actually wouldn't be surprised if he had an ERA of 4.00+ cumulative.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You were cut off mid-thought there... but if the Yankees can hold it at four while playing the Angels and Tigers while the BoSox are playing the Rays and White Sox, we are in very good shape. Schedule gets far less dangerous in September. (Although the Bombers do play Baltimore six more times -- they have our number.)
Old 08-20-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it's time for seattle to start losing... how do they have 3 games in hand on us anyways

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of snow in Cleveland during the first week of the season (where Seattle was supposed to open). Don't ask me why you would open baseball in an uncovered stadium in Cleveland in the first week in April... they have at least two Cleveland make ups left. (I think one of them was moved from Cleveland to Seattle.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Beyond the edit period, I remembered about these postponer's. They will be HUGE.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:30 PM

Steve Physioc on the local Angels broadcast just said, "Rizzuto may have been the second best defensive shortstop in Yankees history behind Jeter."
Old 08-20-2007, 10:38 PM

those guys are just awful awful awful. as i turn the game on earlier it took 30 seconds on looking at those two and hearing them speak to turn the volume off. i hate them with a burning passion. so much so, that i ALMOST root for the NYY to beat the angels ass into the ground. like if the red sox had a 15 game lead. i would really root for the yankees. i hate the angels. i hate their announcers.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:40 PM

I agree. Probably the worst team in announcing history. Is there anything worse than Hudler yelling, "Big Daddy Vladdy" all the time?