Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Those who don\'t believe in life after death - Why not Kill Yoursel

You need some Prozac, buddy.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wouldn't it make more sense to kill yourself if you thought there was a better afterlife waiting for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Those who don\'t believe in life after death - Why not Kill Yourself?

People don't avoid suicide for moral reasons, period. That includes you.

Most people, regardless of religion, don't kill themselves because we aren't wired that way. That 'evolution' thing you mentioned? It leads pretty automatically to an instinct of self-preservation (isn't that neat how science can explain things?).

You seem to be failing to realize that the 'morals' are the foundation of your religion, not vice versa.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im saying that it doesnt matter what I feel about it, it would be morally wrong to end whatever I have instored for the future. For someone who doesnt believe, it wouldnt be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah? Does your own morality depend on some Superdaddy in the sky?
Old 02-19-2007, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im saying that it doesnt matter what I feel about it, it would be morally wrong to end whatever I have instored for the future. For someone who doesnt believe, it wouldnt be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah? Does your own morality depend on some Superdaddy in the sky?

[/ QUOTE ]

superdaddy? oh how clever, give ur self a golden star
Old 02-19-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2. If you beieve in an after-life then a basic moral principle would be to get their naturally cause anything unnatural would be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? How the heck does "suicide is wrong" follow from "I believe in an afterlife"?
Old 02-19-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Those who don\'t believe in life after death - Why not Kill Yourself?

[ QUOTE ]

Most people, regardless of religion, don't kill themselves because we aren't wired that way. That 'evolution' thing you mentioned? It leads pretty automatically to an instinct of self-preservation (isn't that neat how science can explain things?).

You seem to be failing to realize that the 'morals' are the foundation of your religion, not vice versa.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even think the self-preservation instinct cant be considered a scientific explanation or discovery. Its almost logically inescapable. I mean, you have to posit inheritability, I suppose, but the people who want to live are going to be the ones who live, and I think that is pretty obvious to most.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

2. If you beieve in an after-life then a basic moral principle would be to get their naturally cause anything unnatural would be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? How the heck does "suicide is wrong" follow from "I believe in an afterlife"?

[/ QUOTE ]

He omitted a few steps in there, like "The gate to that afterlife is guarded by a vengeful, fickle being" and "you have to accept the list of contradictory, confusing and trying rules that I've got in this book here....no, not that one...no, you idiot, THIS one...in order to get in."
Old 02-19-2007, 06:17 PM

I dont kill myself because my life has value. It seems to me that an underlying premise in your argument is that life is only valuable if it lasts forever (ie if there is an afterlife) - I dont see why this should be true. I've been in pretty unpleasant situations before when I didnt believe there was anything after death - nonetheless, I have never been in a situation where I thought life had no value. To me, life is inherently valuable - it doesnt matter how long it lasts.

If someone didnt value life (including their own) then it would make sense to commit suicide I guess, but not believing in an afterlife does not imply you think life has no value.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even think the self-preservation instinct cant be considered a scientific explanation or discovery. Its almost logically inescapable. I mean, you have to posit inheritability, I suppose, but the people who want to live are going to be the ones who live, and I think that is pretty obvious to most.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe 'most'. Certainly not 'all'. Exhibit A being OP.