Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2006, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Anyone notice this \"teaming phenomena\"?

[ QUOTE ]
Its the way the shufflemasters are designed! DUH!

It shuffles so that on one day the 5-9/10 seats get better cards, and vice-versa on the off-days.

...now where did I put my aluminium foil hat....

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO Remember paranoia is just "heightened awareness". [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I play at Foxwoods at least once a month and it is like that us/we thing. I may root for my neighbor, but I don't softp play, warn or otherwise collude with them. I have a friend or two at my table and I will play them like everyone else.

I was at the Luxor 10th - 15th and one guy soft played his grandfather everytime he was in the hand with him. I wouldn't, I may buy him lunch, but I would never softplay anyone. Then again I am part Scilian.

Peace,
Mygtar
Old 07-24-2006, 04:15 PM

Default Re: I guess im weird...

I agree with Pokerdude as far as 'give me your money' with the added piece that I want people to have fun doing it. That way they come back another day and hand me some more money. I don't believe in softplay of any kind myself, but if someone wants to share info with me because we're having a 'friendly game' I won't turn it down. You can shear a sheep (or fish) many times, you can skin him only once.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:47 PM

Remember the joke about the old bull and the young bull...Let's WALK down there and take them ALL! I'd like to make sure that squeezing out one more "value bet" doesn't mean that he never sits at my table again. I want LOTS or people WHO DON'T MIND losing to me, OFTEN, because I am a pleasant guy who wins. But I don't send them home broke or embarassed!
Old 07-24-2006, 04:51 PM

It's usually because the guys across the table are LAG jerks, whereas the guy sitting next to me, although he plays a little unorthodox, is the only one who really understands the game and my plays.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Pokerdude as far as 'give me your money' with the added piece that I want people to have fun doing it. That way they come back another day and hand me some more money. I don't believe in softplay of any kind myself, but if someone wants to share info with me because we're having a 'friendly game' I won't turn it down. You can shear a sheep (or fish) many times, you can skin him only once.

[/ QUOTE ]

Werd.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:06 PM

It does happen in that neighbors tend to chat with each other more than with players farther away from them at the table. So a certain comraderie develops, especially if a neighbor is taking a beating at the table.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It does happen in that neighbors tend to chat with each other more than with players farther away from them at the table. So a certain comraderie develops, especially if a neighbor is taking a beating at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. When you play live, there is no reason not to develop a friendly, fun attitude at the table -- not only is it polite, it's certainly +EV. Many of the online shenanigans and attitudes some folks have are best left at the door when you walk into your local cardroom.

There are many people who have been playing live and been "friends" with people in the poker room for 10, 20, or more years. Those of us coming in only playing for a few years would oftentimes do well to make ourselves as welcome an addition to the table -- it helps minimize the annoyance with us taking up a seat playing a hand every orbit or two.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:28 AM

Ever play with two guys at the table who are constantly at war with marginal hands?

-j
Old 07-25-2006, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ever play with two guys at the table who are constantly at war with marginal hands?

-j

[/ QUOTE ]

It's fun being one of those 2 guys.

As for the OP: yes, I'll lament with players on my side and yap with them and stuff. If we're both getting our asshanders award I'll make it like it's a race to the felt. I'm also in their corner when they win a pot. Again, you want to make people comfortable at your table.

It's also natural for many to do this just as they do in a pit game. In BJ it's everyone against the dealer. In craps no one is buds with the guy playing the Dont Pass lines.

However, I don't so this to the idiots that are running bad and berating players. I could care less about interacting with them.

But in doing it, this doesn't change the way I play against them. I still play everyone hard. But since not everyone is there to make money, you will see some softplay their side of the table when HU sometimes.

b
Old 07-25-2006, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I only play BM 3 or 4 times a year, but each time it seems like the 1 2 3 4 seats and the 10 9 8 7 naturally "team" up, and you get an "us" vs "them" vibe going against the other side of the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize this happened as soon as poker became a "sport" right? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]