Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Gaming PC vs. Xbox 360 vs. PS3

I can't decide between upgrading my PC with 2 gigs of RAM and an 8800GTX or getting another console system. I only play first-person-shooters and racing sims, so game selection seems to be a wash with a slight PC advantage. How will the graphics on a gaming pc compare to xbox 360 or ps3 graphics?
Old 05-17-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Gaming PC vs. Xbox 360 vs. PS3

PC is the best FPS system easily. The best racing games are probably going to be on the console, so it depends on which you like more. Forza 2 seems to be really advanced and technical.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:00 PM

How is PC the best FPS system easily, unless by that you mean you prefer mouse+kb.

Consoles have Halo, Counter Strike 2, etc.. Unreal 3 will also be on the 360. And then there's the hoards of third/first person tactical shooters - Gears of War, Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon, etc.. You can also expect better graphics on consoles as well. Check the specs on the 360's graphics card or just go play Gears of War. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2007, 03:19 PM

If you have a nice HD TV then get a x360. If your TV sucks, do the PC.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is PC the best FPS system easily, unless by that you mean you prefer mouse+kb.

Consoles have Halo, Counter Strike 2, etc.. Unreal 3 will also be on the 360. And then there's the hoards of third/first person tactical shooters - Gears of War, Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon, etc.. You can also expect better graphics on consoles as well. Check the specs on the 360's graphics card or just go play Gears of War. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I usually agree with everything you say but I am utterly amazed at how ignorant this post is.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:29 PM

I have Xbox 360 and Gears of War. Having played it only reinforces my statement. You can name all the games you want, but I haven't followed gaming in ages. Last time I checked, almost all of the main events at CPL type competitions are on the PC.

PC is the best, hands down, for FPS and RTS games.
Console is the best for sports/fighters/party games.

Not sure where racing falls, and action/adventure games definitely depend on game... since you can get a controller for the PC but can't get a keyboard + mouse for the console.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:30 PM

I don't have the time to play through more than 5 or 6 games a year, so game selection isn't as big a deal as graphics. Considering I have a 46" HDTV 720p (DLP), would I be better off with one of the consoles as far as graphics are concerned?
Old 05-17-2007, 05:27 PM

the gap between consoles and pcs is closing quickly. i'd go with game selection. if you want to play competitive fps online, pc ftw. if you are a college kid who wants to frag his buddies over booze, get a console.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:29 PM

Xbox 360 on that kind of TV will blow your mind!
Though I havent played a high spec PC all I will say on the matter is that the Xbox 360 is extremely cheap considering its performance, its online is superb and its choice of games immense. If you splash out on a new system chances are youll be upgrading some or all of that within a year (if you want to be playing the top end games).
Old 05-17-2007, 05:30 PM

Ok, first off. This is an extremely subjective matter. I believe consoles are better than PCs for FPSs right now, unless you have a bias for mouse+kb. This is my OPINION, and my response to the OP. I've supported my opinion, those supporting the PC have failed to offer such support. Some more support (for the consoles) might be comparing the best looking PC FPS (Doom 3 I suppose?) to something like Gears of War. It's hard to judge since Doom 3 is rediculously dark and Gears of War is not. Either way, it's close. And in the hardware area - the 360 graphics card is superior to the X850, which was top of the line when the 360 was released. It's still a very fine card and runs about $400, the same price as a premium 360. There's also some numerous edges for the 360: hardware standardization, unified memory, etc.. It's also alot more pleasant playing games on a 42" high def widescreen than on a tiny computer screen but that's not really fair.

So again I ASK: what, in your (or anybody else's) opinion, makes "PC the best FPS system easily"?