Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Do you 3-bet KQ/AJ vs a TAG raiser at NL10?

I know as you move up in stakes people's 3-bet% moves up. But at the 10 + 25NL limits how often do you 3-bet KQ/AJ vs a TAG villain? With position and OOP?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:01 AM

Default Re: Do you 3-bet KQ/AJ vs a TAG raiser at NL10?

it all depends on villain, your image, and their position when they have raised. If it's a 20/18 TAG raising on the cutoff I'll 3bet these hands from the button about 25% of the time and call 75% of the time. OOP/blinds if villain raises from CO or button, I'm 3betting about 10-15% of the times with these hands and folding the rest of the time. Also KQ and AJ do not play well OOP in a 3bet pot as they are easily reverse dominated and it's likely you would be better off 3betting 67 suited or a similar hand that is less likely to run into this problem as it is easy to fold to resistance and easy to play if you do hit. Anyone that has a VPIP over 30 I would suggest never 3betting these hands as you are more likely to outplay them with premium hands as opposed to getting into a dick swinging contest with marginal hands against someome who doesn't fold to 3bets much. If you are honestly having problems with this at the $10 and $25 limits it's probably best to switch tables as it takes a lot of practice/flop reading ability to know how to play 3bets.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:06 AM

Thanks for the input. It's funny that you say not to 3-bet loose opponents with hands such as KQ and AJ because I do it quite often assuming I'm ahead of their range, and usually a C-bet will take it down.

I'm not personally having trouble with 3-betting, I'm just curious if I should be with such hands. I find myself coldcalling almost always in position and also folding OOP, which seems like the right play. But sometimes I feel like I should be more aggressive with these hands and not so passive. I have no problem 3betting PP and SC, as like you said are easy to get away from and easy to play if you hit.

How does this change if they're suited?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the input. It's funny that you say not to 3-bet loose opponents with hands such as KQ and AJ because I do it quite often assuming I'm ahead of their range, and usually a C-bet will take it down.

I'm not personally having trouble with 3-betting, I'm just curious if I should be with such hands. I find myself coldcalling almost always in position and also folding OOP, which seems like the right play. But sometimes I feel like I should be more aggressive with these hands and not so passive. I have no problem 3betting PP and SC, as like you said are easy to get away from and easy to play if you hit.

How does this change if they're suited?

[/ QUOTE ]

you are correct that you are likely more ahead of looser opponents with KQ and AJ but with looser opponents you have more opportunities to wait for premium hands as you do not have to worry about them folding/not raising as often when you do get AA-JJ and AQ+. As far as having KQs or AJs these are probably the hands that you want to be 3betting 80% more than the offsuit variety as they carry added hand value thus more fold equity. Example: you are dealt AsJs in the SB and 22/17 villain on the button makes 4bb raise. You 3bet to 14BB's and villain calls. Flop comes 3s 8h 9s. This is an excellent flop to check-raise all in as villain will stab here with lots of hands in his range and your raise puts him to a pretty big committment decision while you have 12 outs if he has TT-KK. Most other hands villain has will fold to your check/raise and the dead money in the pot more than makes up for the times which you do not draw out on villain. Do you see what I'm saying. Same goes for KsQs.. you can eliminate AsKs and AsQs immediately and you still have 12 outs against TT-QQ.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:34 AM

Yup, thanks for the help.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:16 AM

if he is like 21/17 sure
but if he is like 14/11 prolly not
in between is hazey imo

Bottom line: your post flop skill vs his post flop skill is what matters most.